GS750L Rectifier/Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750L Rectifier/Regulator

Over the years I have had a repeating problem with the rectifier / regulator failing.I've replaced it a total of 4 times with the average life of each unit at about 2 years. It has failed in the open position, and in the closed position. It is my understanding that a selenium rectifier can be modified with (4) diodes on a terminal strip for less than $5. I've also heard that if the charging system is being over drawn (halogen headlight) it could cause the repeating problem.What I want to know is the following:

1. Will the homemade diode board fix work for this bike?

2. Are there any more reliable aftermarket upgrades available?

A couple posters on this board have come up with home-brewed solutions. However, for the time and effort required to chase down the parts, then to build it, I would probably stick to buying a replacement. Popular replacements include Electrex for new parts and Honda regulators from eBay for used.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do a search on this forum for rectifier regulator. More than a few discussions on this topic. A couple of members have constructed their own R/R's. I think one of the main causes of failure is overheating of the unit, which can be traced to a bad ground. Many people here have their R/R ground wire directly connected to the battery.

Comment

Check ebay for a r/r from a late model suzuki with fuel enjection. Mine came from a gsxr 600. I got fed up and mounted it on the chrome piece under the headlight. It stays cool now.

Comment

Working...
        X