Oil leak questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak questions

My bike is a 1980 GS1000G, I just fixed an oil leak in the cam cover gasket which was causing smoke, now I seem to have a new one which doesn't smoke but causes small puddles on the floor when I park my bike.

The oil seems really clear and doesn't have much of an engine smell to it oddly enough, but it is definatly oil, and since it seems to be spread around the stator cover I am sure it is engine oil, gear oil wouldn't get there.

I think the leak is coming from two of the bolts on the left side of the engine, you know, the ones that go up between the cylinder bores and are exposed to the air, probably a bad seal in the base gasket.

I plan on putting a very small layer of silicone on the base gasket to improve the seal as this worked REALLY well with the came cover gasket leak, however I won't be able to do this for about 3 weeks when I have the parts and help to do it.

In the mean time is it safe to use something like STP Oil Stop Leak to help prevent the leak until I can get the work done? Yeah I know many people are shrugging at this right now, hell I am, but if it holds 2-3 weeks until I can do the work I will be fine, as long as this doesn't damage the clutch or engine.

I considered using silicon on the base of the bolts, and I am sure this would work really well too... if I could figure out how to get the silicone in there, lol, those airways are really deep.

Any input?

I've been leary of using stuff like that in a car's engine, let alone a motorcyle that has so many smaller holes to clog up. I think I would deal with the leak until you can fix it. I've had a leak all winter that I'm just now getting to work on. These bikes won't let you down unless you introduce foreign material into them, or don't ever change the oil!

Comment

Check your vent hose for kinks. Don't ask how I know.

Comment

Vent hose where?

Comment

DON'T use chemical additives in the oil. :shock:

Your bike has a wet clutch and anything you add to the oil will also get on the clutch. Not sure what effect the stop-leak would have on it, but better to not take the chance.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X