Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help - 83 GS400ED

Hello all-

So, I got an 83 GS 400ED 2 weeks ago - Being a new rider, I just got hung up on a curb & killed the fairing & windshield. It's clutch also is slipping..

So - Here's the problem I'm having - No one seems to have the windscreen, fairing or a clutch kit listed. I understand that this bike was only made for Canada (Where I am) and the USA. Should I keep looking, or maybe search for gsx400 parts from European suppliers perhaps? The fairing seems to be a Suzuki original (?).. Anyhow, from other posts I figure that the fairing could be used from a 400, 425 or a 450. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Now, could that be extended to the clutch kits? I also read that the drive train is different, but wasn't certain if that also included the clutch as the kits seem to include what seems like most of GS4XX series, but as the GS400 isn't specifically mentioned.... I'd hate to order one only to find out it's the wrong one. I'm including a picture (allas a "before" pic) if anyone could help..

Many thanks!

ak

Anyone? Please? Even if it somewhere I missed..

Comment

I guess one of the problems is what do you really have. The model you list doesn't show up on an on-line suppliers model listings. It could be the PO put it togeather from several different models. You could also have something that wasn't made for the Canadian or US market. Its kinda suspecious with that red paint and no decals. There should be a manufacturers ID tag on the frame where the triple tree slides into it. The triple tree is the bottom clamp for the front forks. Is the tag there and what does it say? The serial number on that tag should also be stamped into the frame on the opposite side of the tag. Do the serial numbers match on the frame and tag?

Comment

The only GS400 I can find that came with a headlight fairing /w windshield from the factory was the 400S, was available in Canada, but not before 1985. There is also a GSX400S that was available in 1983 that had a headlight fairing /w windshield. There was a GSX400FW & GSX400FWS that looked like a Katana ~

JM

Comment

please post more pics.

also as previously mentioned provide the details on the stering stem

If this is a cdn model it should have a pretty white sticker fromt he DOT
          black lettering with a maple leaf

is it a twin or four cyclinder model btw?

Comment

Hello all - Thanks for the replies - Here's the info & additional pics-

So, the sticker definatly says it's a GS400ED, manufactured in Dec-82, presumabley for the 83 model year, as that's what the ownership says.. It does have the Canadian leaf approval (or the remnents thereof) on the oposite side to the date of manufacture & the printed VIN, underneath the stamped VIN. Both serial numbers do match. I'm faily certain that the paint & lack of decals is just that at some point someone repainted it. It *could* be that the fairing isn't stock for that particular model. It is a twin, not the 4 cylinder F-Series of bikes. It is a twin overhead cam, so I'm guessing it's what the Europeans call the GSX engine that retained the GS designation here just for the 83 year. Anyhow, thanks for the help, most appreciated. If there's anything else that might help, please just ask.

kent
            Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2007, 01:00 PM. Reason: confim matching serno's

Comment

More pics-

Comment

And more pics still...

Comment

And one last one- Once again, thanks all...

Comment

Well it is an 83 GS400E and looks like the E models from 1983. The "D" at the end of the model was Suzuki's way of putting it in the 1983 model year. They started with "A" for 1980 and went on for a while. I don't know when they stopped. I did a search for it and had a bunch of hits from European web sites. Apparently there were a ton of like models sold over there, and at least one swam across the pond and found its way to you. It is almost certainly a European model.

I wish I could give you some suggestions for where to go for parts but I don't have a clue. Was you clutch slipping before you went down and have you tried to adjust it yet?
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2007, 01:04 PM.

Comment

d'autre

Comment

so then perhaps you bike is a modded and rebuilt machine

the wheels do not look stock they look like 16 inch GS 550 E 83-86 wheels.

The motor could have been taken from a any GS 400 twin.

my head hurts as there are entirley too mnay pics and articles on ugly GS buicks and lexususususususu lexae? out there

Comment

Gsx

In Europe, that'd be the GSX 400 twin. There was a 250 version as well which was much more common. In 1983 they got that Katana-style makeover and I remember a fairing like the one in your pics was a factory option. It is probably common to both models. It was a ridiculous price at the time, I enquired about it for my own bike before I went out and bought a 'universal' one.

I found www.sparesdirect.co.uk very good for older parts in the past, although I havn't ordered from them recently. They might be able to help with clutch parts too. Have your engine number to hand if you contact them.

Comment

less the wheels and it's a LOT cleaner, it looks almost identical to my 83 GS450E. i'd think our bikes share all the same parts except the name tags. maybe you can use GS450E part numbers in your searches? even my manual states most repairs are similar for the 400-425-450, as if the engine was just bored a bit bigger as the bike progressed...

i *may* be wrong on this one...

Comment

Yea it is a very clean bike - only 12,000Km on it too..

But I'm thinking your right. I've got the Clymer manual on it's way & am hoping that it will bring more insight, but I'm guessing that the 425 & 450's are possibly just either bored out or just bigger cylinders attached to the same err, engine "body"? Does your manual possibly indicate the part numbers? I'm hoping they are the same on the clutch over the series, as it seems to be with the 250 thru the 500 is listed as the "same" on the GS Twin faq page, but this could just be the type that's the same, not the sizes or pressure.

kent

Comment

Working...
                              X