Which Chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Chain?

80 GS 550. 12000 mi. My chain is stretching an excessive amt it seems to me.The bike sat up for 19 yrs in a garage and the chain was rusty. The sprockets appear to be in good shape. Should I go with new sprockets with the new chain? I don't flog it much so I need some advice on which chain to get. What would be a good (as opposed to perfect) brand and type? All sug's gratefully considered.

I got a parts unlimited chain for 60 bucks delivered from imotorcycle it is the pro-oring chain, but watch it, it only comes with a rivet type link, you may need to get a clip style unless you have the tool

Comment

Suzuki service manual states 320mm (12.80inchs) for 20 pitch lengths as service for drive chain.

Its normal to change both front and rear sprocket with a new chain. As for chain, go for a good 'O' ringed chain. Book suggests a DID 50HDL or TAKASAGO RK50SHO chain of 110 links as standard.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

The main thing is to go with a quality oring chain. A cheap one will just stretch again and wear out your sprockets to boot. If you have a 630 as I do, you will be limited in your choices.
        I spent around $100 for the one on my KZ years ago and it hardly ever has to be adjusted. And I ride in a spirited fashion.
        I highly recommend going with a master link chain, they are much easier to work with. And if your current chain does not have a master link, use a Dremel tool to grind away a link and a punch to remove it. Beats the heck out of removing the swingarm.:shock:
        And get a second master link. Don't ask me why.

Comment

Originally posted by REDDY View Post
          80 GS 550. 12000 mi. My chain is stretching an excessive amt it seems to me.The bike sat up for 19 yrs in a garage and the chain was rusty. The sprockets appear to be in good shape. Should I go with new sprockets with the new chain? I don't flog it much so I need some advice on which chain to get. What would be a good (as opposed to perfect) brand and type? All sug's gratefully considered.
          New sprockets and new chain. Get a good o-ring chain as mentioned but make sure to ask for one with a clip link - this will not cause a problem with this bike.
          The reason your chain "stretches" is wear.....the link pins wear thin, and, as the chain pitch gets longer the sprockets wear (hard to see on a quick glance) such that the curve between teeth gets elongated and the teeth get sharper as a result. The chain wears the sprockets out.....putting a new chain on worn sprockets will wear the new chain out as it's now not supported at the correct pitch length. Simple eh.

Comment

Chain

I wouldn't automatically change the sprockets based on what you said. If the bike sat for 19 years and has 12,000 miles on the clock, it seems quite possible that the sprockets might be just fine. I'd suggest you have a couple of people who know exactly what to look for, take a look.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
            X