Can I soak my chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I soak my chain?

I know this is a newbie question but hey, I'm a newbie. I would like to clean up my chain on my '83 550e. It has a small bit of rust on it an dI would like to soak it. It's an o-ring chain so I'm pretty sure WD40 would just dry up the inner lube, right? If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
    Thanks
    P.S. I know most of you guys will tell me to replace it but it's really just a get going and sell it type of bike.

I work in a place where there are overhead doors which use a chain. The door is constantly being sprayed with water, it is a truck wash. The chain is literally soaked with water 15-20 times a day. I use a mixture of 50/50 diesel fuel and gear oil which I keep in a windex type spray bottle. I soak it down with this mixture weekly and rarely will the chain start to rust unless I neglect it for a couple weeks. IT IS NOT an O ring type chain and I'm not sure if it would effect the O rings or not. I would assume that since it was designed for oiling that the addition of the diesel fuel to the oil would not bother the O rings at all. If someone here knows differently I'm sure they will say so.

Comment

My chain is soaked in a motor oil bath 100% of the time, right between the cylinders.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
        My chain is soaked in a motor oil bath 100% of the time, right between the cylinders.

Nick
        Mine Too, Aint it Great.

Comment

Mine Too, Aint it Great.

Yeah! I have 64,000 miles on this bike, all with the original chain and sprockets... Imagine that!

Some day the chain gang will learn...

Nick

Comment

Mine Too, Aint it Great.

Yeah! I have 64,000 miles on this bike, all with the original chain and sprockets... Imagine that!

Some day the chain gang will learn...

Nick
            Do you guys just do a search for the word "chain" just to harass us folks in the chain gang???? Go pick on someone your own size!

Hap

Comment

Re: Can I soak my chain?

You can remove it and clean it up with kerosene, then apply chain lube to it.

Earl

Originally posted by komdo
              I know this is a newbie question but hey, I'm a newbie. I would like to clean up my chain on my '83 550e. It has a small bit of rust on it an dI would like to soak it. It's an o-ring chain so I'm pretty sure WD40 would just dry up the inner lube, right? If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
              Thanks
              P.S. I know most of you guys will tell me to replace it but it's really just a get going and sell it type of bike.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: Can I soak my chain?

Originally posted by komdo
                Thanks
                Like Earl said, (ignore the other miscreants) soak it in kerosene (doesn't harm the o-rings). Work it some in the rusted area, just to be sure it doesn't bind. Then apply chain lube after re-installing.
                Do be nice and point it out to the buyer though. I know, buyer beware and all that, but this is a safety issue .

Comment

I have a non O ring chain on my yammy and i soak it once in a while. let it drip overnight or you will get a bath during your first ride. i dont think soaking is necessary but after all this is my hobby and second love.

Comment

Do you guys just do a search for the word "chain" just to harass us folks in the chain gang????

Yes. It's a lot more fun than all that political talk on this forum! It seems as if all of us could use better weather so we can get on our GS's and stay out of mischief...

Nick

Comment

Thanks Everyone, I'm actually running a different bike outside as we speak. I picked up an 81 honda cb400 for $150 canadian. It's runnignbut has a knock. Time to play with both, bye!

Comment

Do you guys just do a search for the word "chain" just to harass us folks in the chain gang????

Yes. It's a lot more fun than all that political talk on this forum! It seems as if all of us could use better weather so we can get on our GS's and stay out of mischief...

Nick
                        You are of cause aware that ALL GS's have the chain and sprockets between the cylinders !!! 8O and both my chain final drive bikes still have the originals in them just like yours.
                        Dink

Comment

Of course I'm aware of that, Dink.

Comment

Uhhh Dink, I heard that Nick had "upgraded" to a shaft driven camshaft. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Dink
                            You are of cause aware that ALL GS's have the chain and sprockets between the cylinders !!! 8O and both my chain final drive bikes still have the originals in them just like yours.
                            Dink[/quote]
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

[quote=earlfor]Uhhh Dink, I heard that Nick had "upgraded" to a shaft driven camshaft. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Doesnt Ducati make a desmo engine where the cams are driven with a shaft?? I don't mean the 250, but something modern.

Comment

Working...
                              X