Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for carb specs for 85 GS550L

Hi all,

Great site !!! I've found some very helpful info here. Plenty of knowledge people.

I've looked through many, many threads & posts regarding carb issues and the like and didn't find the OEM settings for my 85 GS550L. I cleaned the carbs a couple of weeks ago & can't get the bike to run well. I suspect i didn't re-assemble the carb correctly ( i may have mixed up the main jets). I guess I'll be doing it again, but it would be nice to have the factory specs.

A bit of history on the bike: It's my son's (first bike), he bought it last summer and said it ran OK. One day last Fall he was riding it & said he heard a loud BANG, then the bike stopped. Into the shed it went until a few weeks ago when Dad was summoned to help. It turned over OK, but wouldn't start. He had left the old gas in it all winter so i figured the carbs needed cleaning.

I pulled them off & partially dissambled them. Cleaned using 2 cans of spray cleaner - removed fuel jets (partialy restricted), slides, floats, needle valves and cleaned all completely. I do remember getting confused regarding the main jets, as there are 2 different sizes in the same carb - i may have (read most likely) switched their positions.

i reassembled everything just as it came apart.

Anyway, the carb was a whole lot cleaner when i was done (the PO had used silicone to seal both the top cap/diaphram and the bowls!), and the bike started immediately. It ran like poo however so i changed the plags, oil & filter, fuel line & petcock (needeless to say, the petcock is a piece of work!)

So now the bike starts fine, runs awful (no power) and i believe I'll be doing the carbs again but this time I figure I'll re-check EVERYTHING. I had learned from a previous post about the air tube O-rings (increasing idle problem) & i've got those on order.

Any help/advice you guys can provide would be appreciated!!

thanks,
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

anyone have a magnifying glass?

Comment

sorry folks I will try again

Comment

Need glasses, Nicholas?
          I even saved it as a jpeg to my puter, then tried to magnify it. It just pixelized.

Comment

try again

you may need to click on the thumbnail its my first upload to photbucket so do be kind.

Comment

Works great. Good job.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the quick response!! My work computer won't let me open the link (stupid firewall), but I'll get it tonigt at home!
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                X