How to find out manufacturing year???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find out manufacturing year???

I have recently bought suzuki GS450T, which has been in use since April 1982.

My question is, how to find out for sure, what is the manufacturing year of the bike (propably 1981)?

The company, which imported suzuki bikes to Finland in 80's, exist no more.
    Is there such list available, which shows serial numbers of the bikes manufactured by Suzuki each year?
    (This one has serial number:GS450D800599)

Somewhere on the bike, there should be a manufacturer's sticker. Sometimes it is on the steering stem, sometimes on one of the downtubes below the steering stem, other times on a frame rail behind one of the side covers. Not sure where yours might be, but there should be one somewhere.

On the other hand, since yours is a European model, there might be different requirements for labeling.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, I think I've fount this "sticker", but it has no year on it.
      The same number is carved on the frame it self next to this "sticker".

I was hoping to find out the manufacturing year with this "serial number"?
      So would there be any lists available to check this number against?

Motor it self has number carved also: GS450-154750

Comment

remove the seat and check the sticker on the rear fender, it should have the date on it.
        V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

You can try to check a repair manual, Haynes for example. Sometimes they have serial number lists with manufacturing dates. Unfortunately these lists are often quite inaccurate, like GS450D1XXXXX - GS450D2XXXXX : 1980-1983

To get accurate manufacturing date you can contact Suzuki Finland, they should be able to check this. They were very helpful when I needed exact manufacturing year of my GS1100.
          Arttu
          GS1100E EFI turbo
          Project thread

Comment

I have been in contact with Suzuki Finland, but they seem not to have this information (at least tho two persons I discussed with by the phone).
            They only refer to former Suzuki importing company Bensow, which bankrupted -89, and all the papers been "lost" ever since.

They also told been in contact with Suzuki in Japan, which claimed that they don't even have such manufactoring number (GS450D800599) at all, which little bit suprises me...since it is definetly Suzuki. (photo below)

Meanwhile, I'll check under the seat if I can find any sticker, as gustovh suggested...

Comment

There probably isn't a sticker under the seat as that is an EPA sticker, which was probably valid only on North American bikes(US and Canada). One other thing to consider is the years that they changed the VIN number system. I think it was 1981 or 1982 when they went to a universal numbering system (17 numbers and letters , I believe). My 1980 550 has the old style Vin starting with GS550E, while my 1981 1000 starts with JS(Japan Suzuki) and it is the 17 digit number. That might narrow it down.
              Also, maybe look at different parts fiche online to see differences in parts from each year. Maybe you can narrow it down. Trouble is European bikes were so much different in certain aspects relating to safety and emissions than here in North America.
              Oh yeah, forgot to say Hi. I'm actually half Finnish in my heritage. Both the great grandparents on my mom's side came from Finland in the early 1900's. Names were Kompsie, and Lehto and I believe they came from AlaHarma(sp). Trouble is the only word I ever remember is keytos(sp) which I think means thank you. Oh yeah, and I miss the Saturday Sauna also. Pronounced sow-na, not sanna as most Americans say it!

Comment

I checked the rear fender below the seat (as gustovh suggested), but did't find sticker there.
                But I found there sticker attached to electrical wires, which might been moved from rear fender?

It contained following coding:
                X5311-36610-44320
                1B 340 655
                Made in Japan.

Might this indentify manufactoring year???

...Also AirFilter cover got some coding:
                13700-44100
                GS450 GS40X
                GS25X
                Toyo Roki Seizo Co.LTD.

Comment

By the way....relic-rider, nice to hear you have found your way all the way from Finland. By the way Kompsie doesn't sound like finnish last name, but Lehto certainly is.
                  And that place is in Finland is AlaHärmä ( http://www.alaharma.fi/ ).

Thank you is in finnish "kiitos" and Sauna is sacred place for finnish people, which nowdays is visited more often than only once a week, in case you have your own... and if you are lucky you can get your Sanna there as well (one of the finnish names used by females ).:-D

Comment

450T would be 81 model

Comment

Originally posted by Ossi Ikonen View Post
                      By the way....relic-rider, nice to hear you have found your way all the way from Finland. By the way Kompsie doesn't sound like finnish last name, but Lehto certainly is.
                      And that place is in Finland is AlaHärmä ( http://www.alaharma.fi/ ).

Thank you is in finnish "kiitos" and Sauna is sacred place for finnish people, which nowdays is visited more often than only once a week, in case you have your own... and if you are lucky you can get your Sanna there as well (one of the finnish names used by females ).:-D
                      I think my great grandfathers given name was Komsi. It was Americanized when they came through Ellis Island as immigrants. I grew up in Northern Wisconsin(Hurley), and there is a ton of people with Finnish Heritage. Also a lot in the nearby U.P. of Michigan(Yoopers). Something else came to mind. When I was a kid we always celebrated some Mid Summer festival in June or July along with a great big bonfire. Is that some Finnish tradition? I kind of miss all of that old time tradition stuff here in the big city.

Comment

the X in the code means 1981 model year

Comment

SqDancerLynn1, madjack57754,

Thanks for your help, it seemed you were right.

Actually I got final confirmation (1981) straight from Suzuki Japan for the fax I sent them yesterday, concerning these issues.
                          They really replied much sooner I would have thought.

relic-rider,

Now we just wait for 2 more weeks (23.6.), when we have one of the most celebrated parties in Finland, day when the sun never goes down, Midsummer festival.

Comment

There is, I believe, a book which lists model and chasis number ranges on all suzuki models. One guy here in the UK has one and uses it to tell what model and year of bike you have.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Suzuki mad,

That sounds interesting...
                              Just in case it might be needed, do you happen to know this guy, how to contact?

Comment

Working...
                              X