starter motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter motor

the problem is trying to start my gs850 is that the starter motor spins fast then suddenly struggles and then stops give it 15 seconds same thing again,battery is fully charged any ideas?

Sounds like the starter clutch is stuck.

How often do you change the oil? Dirty oil will gum up the clutch. "Proper" repair will involve removal of the stator and rotor from the left side of the engine, so try something first. Drain about 1/2 quart of oil from the engine. Replace it with 1/2 quart (16 ounces) of Marvel Mystery Oil. Go for a ride of 50-100 miles. Drain the oil, change the filter, install fresh oil. If the starter works better, great. \\/
    If not, you will have to disassemble the left side and remove the rollers that comprise the starter clutch, clean them and their housing, then reassemble.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Or it sounds like bad connectons and the starter brushes need cleaned or replaced.
      Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks you two,got a day off work tomorrow will change the oil+filter and give the bushes a look at thanks again

Comment

Working...
        X