2nd Gear Throttle Jump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Gear Throttle Jump?

When accelerating through 2nd gear only, I get this disconcerting throttle jump @ about 6500 rpm and 8000 rpm, as if the engine suddenly gets a boost of power. The bike will kind of jump on me at that point, but its very short. Like a mini shot of nitrous. It only happens in second, so I thought maybe transmission related. But it doesn't pop out of gear or anything bad. Maybe the clutch slips instantaneously? But it only happens at those RPMs. Any ideas?

yep got the same thign on my bike, the dogs on second gear are chewed, try to avoid using power in 2'nd gear, and/or get ready to do a replacement eventually it will begin slipping into neutral... or at least mine did

Comment

Well that's not good. Thanks for letting me know though. Hard to fix?

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
        When accelerating through 2nd gear only, I get this disconcerting throttle jump @ about 6500 rpm and 8000 rpm, as if the engine suddenly gets a boost of power. Maybe the clutch slips instantaneously? But it only happens at those RPMs. Any ideas?
        I have found that when I (rarely) really want to get on it and run the 9500rpm limit (breaking the highway speed limit in 2nd gear or flat out track racing) that you can avoid the issue by not using the clutch at all, just dipping the throttle and going into the next gears It's an rpm thing and it will slide right in with no issues. Its a constant mesh trans like an F1 racecar?? They only clutch on downshifts too. I believe releasing the clutch at this max power level on an older bike will have a builtin delay on the weakened old clutch springs and friction will be momentarily lost at these max power levels.

Apparently a good number on this site never use the clutch when upshifting or downshifting from a poll run here? Only when downshifting and coming to a stop with a rev burst is a clutch important to me?

In casual economy mode I use the clutch normally between shifts - habit.

Each to their own

Comment

Working...
        X