Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for reinstalling air box and Carbs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for reinstalling air box and Carbs???

anybody have any tips for reinstalling the air box (easy part), the part that connect it to the carbs and then the carbs into the engine?

coming out was a little tricky (over 2 weeks ago memory a little week), but putting it all back together is darn frustrating...... specifically the screws that hold the filter box to the plastic peice that mounts to the carbs..... (think tiny space 3/4 the size of my hand) :-({|=

After buying new airbox rubbers (the boots that connect from carbs to airbox) my new tip is: buy new rubbers. With the new rubbers the carbs literally slid into place with ZERO forcing. After that just tighten the clamps, put other side of carbs into intake (head) boots, tighten those clamps, then re-attach airbox to frame (leave airbox loose for carb attachment process). Of course you want to attach choke and throttle cables first.

Comment

Each bike is going to be just a little different, but pliable rubber on both sides of the carbs is a definite plus.

In most of the bike on which I have had the "pleasure" to pull the carbs, I have found it easier to put the carbs into the intake tubes first, then slide the airbox into place.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree with Steve

I did get a tip from a mech that heating them in water will help too.
        It makes them more pliable and slippery. They need to go on and be tight. Airbox leakage is a real problem with inline 4's. If air gets by the bike wont run good.
        So the only tip I can offer is what Steve said and the heating in water thing.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

WD-40 on the boots to and from the carbs

8 days ago I finally re-installed my carbs and I employed the tips mentioned here so far, plus, someone had mentioned using WD-40 to slick the boots. I was lucky as the original boots were still in great shape and very pliable. Took me about 5 minutes total and most of that was because I had to pull them back out because I forgot to connect the throttle cable BEFORE inserting the carbs into the boots.

Comment

Silicone spray lube. A real Godsend for installing carbs onto the bike.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

All of the tips recommended are valid and softening the plastic along with lube would be best I think.

My bike had sat for 7 years so the rubber was quite stiff. I had to pull the carbs about 4 times to get them as clean as necessary to run right. Each time I lubed the manifolds and airbox rubbers with WD-40. The more you work with them the easier it gets.

At first I did have difficulty getting the carbs back on as there is little to no manoevering room. Once I got the engine side lined up, I had to get another set of hands on one side to push in with me.

The second time I didn't have a helper available so I got some of my "speed" clamps ( bar clamps with a sliding hand grip that ratchets to tighten). Pushed one side into the manifold and tightened the clamp. Walked around to the other side, lined it up on the manifold and attached one end of the clamp to the far side of the head and the other to the back of the carb and ratchetted the carb into the manifold. Slick as butter.\\/

I did it twice more that way.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
              Spyug

Comment

Best advise is to warm up the air box rubber in hot water so that they are pilable. Then fit the carbs to the airbox first. Have you checked to see if you can replace the rubbers or are they 'all in one' with the box?

Then with the engines front and lower mounts removed and the engine being held on a jack and pivoted on the rear mounting bolt allow the motor to move slightly forward so that you have enough room refit the airbox and carb assembly. Then, using the jack raise the engine back up and fit the front rubbers. Then rebolt the engine back in place.

Easy.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                  Best advise is to warm up the air box rubber in hot water so that they are pilable. Then fit the carbs to the airbox first. Have you checked to see if you can replace the rubbers or are they 'all in one' with the box?

Then with the engines front and lower mounts removed and the engine being held on a jack and pivoted on the rear mounting bolt allow the motor to move slightly forward so that you have enough room refit the airbox and carb assembly. Then, using the jack raise the engine back up and fit the front rubbers. Then rebolt the engine back in place.

Easy.

Suzuki mad.
                  Um...did you just recommend partial removal of the engine as part of cleaning the carbs...?

Comment

Uuhh?

[QUOTE=swrupert83;646417]anybody have any tips for reinstalling the air box (easy part), the part that connect it to the carbs and then the carbs into the engine?

Thats what I was replying to or did I miss read it?

Suzuki mad

Comment

[quote=Suzuki mad;647321]
                      Originally posted by swrupert83 View Post
                      anybody have any tips for reinstalling the air box (easy part), the part that connect it to the carbs and then the carbs into the engine?

Thats what I was replying to or did I miss read it?

Suzuki mad
                      OK. Just checking. Maybe it's my lack of experience with working on engines but I would rather leave the engine in place and move everything else. I guess it also depends on the exact bike on which the task is being performed.

Comment

Yep, your right there. It just a method that allows more space for carbs and airbox attached prior to being installed. I didn't say it was the best or easiest.

Suzuki manuals and best practice was with new rubbers on both airbox and engine sides which after 25 years of riding most of these won't be.

It's no critisium of your lack of experience....

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                          Yep, your right there. It just a method that allows more space for carbs and airbox attached prior to being installed. I didn't say it was the best or easiest.

Suzuki manuals and best practice was with new rubbers on both airbox and engine sides which after 25 years of riding most of these won't be.

It's no critisium of your lack of experience....

Suzuki mad
                          I'll move the engine when I have to. Until then, can you hand me that piano?

Comment

Originally posted by swrupert83 View Post

coming out was a little tricky (over 2 weeks ago memory a little week), but putting it all back together is darn frustrating...... specifically the screws that hold the filter box to the plastic peice that mounts to the carbs..... (think tiny space 3/4 the size of my hand) :-({|=
                            To some extent, it would be helpful to know which model you're talking about!
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Refit air box

Models are a big issue here. I'm refitting an air box to a 1985 GS550 ES. On first attempt, it seemed easiest to remove carbs after tank, cables, battery box, CD ignitor, etc. Fairing is long removed. But the clearance still seems impossible after carbs off. The only other choice seemed to be monoshock assembly which also protrudes into the space where the box fits. However, tilting the engine was not considered until I read the post here. Several mechanics were at a loss as to how to assemble this item, as it is a clunky plastic molding that barely fits into the allocated space in the frame under the tank. I have thought of more forceful choices, but the cost of damage is prohibitive. Any sound advice from successful experience would be very helpful here or anywhere when specific details are considered. I like GS models. I've got two of 'em somebody didn't want to keep, so fixing these orphans is a pleasure. They're a joy to ride.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2008, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X