No announcement yet.

Slipping clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil can contaminate a clutch, no doubt. But look for the sudden easy stuff first. I don't think the clutch springs are bad. I did my 650 clutch last month and the springs were perfectly in spec after 27 years. They measured 38 mm and the service limit is 36.4

I replaced them anyway because I had a new set in hand. I donated them to another forum member visiting my house so should he need springs he has them but it's unlikely that is the problem. Oil contamination would be the third thing to check, right after the cable ends and then measuring the plates
    Spec on the fiber plates are 3.0 mm new, down to 2.7 mm each, or if any single plate comes up real short like 2.5. The total thickness is important so if you loose .3 mm per plate and one happens to be .5 under then the rest will suffer.

I installed a barnet kevlar clutch for 112.00 delivered. I'm real happy with it so far.
    Last edited by duaneage; 06-04-2007, 11:14 PM.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I use Castrol GTX 10w 40 with no problems. There are no friction modifiers in it.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        I use Castrol GTX 10w 40 with no problems. There are no friction modifiers in it.

Dan
        SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH=;\\/
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The solution...

Well thank you all for your responses. All very good advice. However, I'm embarrassed to say that I went home last night and checked the clutch cable and both the piviot arm side and the lever side were in need of adjustment .

The clutch engages in the middle of the lever travel now and no more slipping. For some reason I keep getting lucky with this bike. However, now I wonder if the cable suddenly needing adjustment is a sign of it starting to go...

Comment

Clutch adventures

I know you've got her fixed now, but here's a tip for you if you ever do go in there again. Make sure you have the proper side gasket in hand before you split your cases to get at the clutch. I ordered one in advance off ebay, then opened the cases to replace my springs. The old gasket had been on there 26 years and it came off with great difficulty and in many pieces. Soon the ebay clutch side gasket arrived and it was the wrong size. Now the bike sits for another 10 days while I order from a competent dealer. My clutch was slipping with proper adjustment and when I replaced the springs it worked perfectly. Spent a lot more for the gasket than for the springs! Also, I noticed the Suz springs I got from the dealer were noticeably thicker than the OEMs in my 81 650G. And the pull at the lever was a little harder, but not obnoxiously so. Looks like there was a factory upgrade or uprate some time during the last quarter century (ha, ha!)

Comment

Working...
            X