Brake lines - down instead of back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake lines - down instead of back?

I am adding a small box to the front of '80 GS1100E frame for some electrical connections ... actually, almost all the electrical connections that were in the headlight will now be here, plus some other ones.

I am trying to determine if I can reroute my front brake lines without getting custom lines made. That is not to say I am against the idea of getting new lines, just trying to figure out if they are required.

Just under the headlight, the master cylinder feed is connected via two banjo bolts to the lines that go to each side of the front wheel. These connections go back, loop around, and then down into the brake calipers; pretty much like "?"s.

The issue is that the back of the loop hits the box when the front wheel is turned, something that I'd rather not happen. This issue goes away if I route the brake lines down from the banjos instead of back. It still looks like a "?", but with a cowlick.

My concern is the extra stress on the two bends - shorter lines would resolve this issue as the bends would be less drastic. Should I be worried about the modified routing with the OEM lines?

Originally posted by demark
    My concern is the extra stress on the two bends - shorter lines would resolve this issue as the bends would be less drastic. Should I be worried about the modified routing with the OEM lines?

I would be worried if the rubber lines are 27 years old (like mine). If you've replaced them with braided steel (like I hope to do soon), then I wouldn't worry. But that's just me.

Thank you for your induglence,

BassCliff

Comment

Haven't replaced them (yet).

Guess I need to look into doing so.

Thanks,
      - Tony

Comment

For those of you who are still braking with 25+ year old brake lines...here's a trick to try. Grab the line in the palm of your hand and clinch a fist around it tightly...now sqeeze the brake lever. Can you feel it expand in your hand?? Time for new lines guys!!

Comment

I just showed my wife the stainless steel brake line kit for $148 and she asked "Is that something you need?" I'm too honest with my wife, I told her no, it is a want not a need LOL, someone kick me!

Comment

Working...
          X