Question about break in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about break in oil

I just rebuilt the upper end on my 80 gs 1000L.I used lots of white assembly grease on the cam journals.Of course it has new oil in it.I have ridden about 65 miles on the motor now.Should I change it now and get the old crudded up stuff out?I was wondering how that white grease might effect the motor.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

I'd leave it in for maybe 300 miles. The white grease won't hurt anything. If it wasn't safe for the engine, they wouldn't call it assembly grease.

Comment

I'm in the same spot as you... My rebuilt motor has 200 miles on it and i'm about to change the oil for the first time...

No worries on that assembly lube, it's not bad for the engine in anyway.
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

I change the oil after 100 miles and the oil and filter after 500 miles.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's not the engine I would be worried about, it's the clutch.

When I have rebuilt car engines, I go overboard on oil changes, especially if the block has been bored and/or honed. I will use the cheapest oil possible, run the engine for about 10-15 minutes, change the oil and filter. Using cheap oil again, will put on about 100 miles, change oil and filter. Will change again at 1,000 miles, then 5,000 miles, then every 5,000 after that.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I change the oil after 100 miles and the oil and filter after 500 miles.
            This guy Steve offered advice,but i feel the 300 mile mark is ok.You think so and you havent been wrong yet.Say,when i put my cams in and set the timing i put both cams in at the same time then tightened the exhaust cam and after tightening the intake cam i put the tensioner on.Not exactly as you said but it worked.
            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

That guy Steve is a pretty smart guy. :-D
              I'm glad that worked for you. As I said I just relayed what worked for me.\\/
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X