Picked up an 83 750ES - I'm Forked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up an 83 750ES - I'm Forked

Not bad for $200. Had a little trouble getting it gas... but after a few blows into the carbs, and a little TLC it runs!

SO, I am wondering why the forks are fully compressed... do they just need air? I checked the Schrader valve and it gave a small PSST and then nothing... same for both sides.

Otherwise.. this bike will be a good save.

Looks like someone took the springs out. Or they are bound or bent. Take off the fork caps and have a looksy. But first try and pull the forks out. If there is springs and they are compressed they will end up on the moon and you might get injured.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I bet someone has a old front end they are not useing.. try kingofvenus.. he did a gsx fork and wheel swap and may have his old stock ones left over... I'm sure other members do aswell.. if you dont want to try to fix it that is...

Comment

That looks like a 83-84 550E to me.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

The front end isn't bouncy? Can't really tell from the pics but the forks look like they have a boot around them but aren't fully compressed.

Comment

Minime - you've got a private message.

Comment

I talked with the guy who was selling this. Good buy if you can resurrect it.
              Good luck!

Comment

Looks like an E model but not an 83.

Comment

I thought all the 750E models had dual front discs?

Comment

You're in!

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
                    I bet someone has a old front end they are not useing.. try kingofvenus.. he did a gsx fork and wheel swap and may have his old stock ones left over... I'm sure other members do aswell.. if you dont want to try to fix it that is...
                    I may soon as well, cheap too. The nose of that bike is from a donor for sure. I'm with Turk on this one.

Comment

That is a 550. My stock stuff (except for a couple of front fenders) is long gone.
                      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Doesn't look like a 750 to me either, more like a 550. Check the tag under the seat or on the right side of the frame under the neck. If those tags are missing check the base of the block on the left side for displacement.

Comment

I've got an '88 GSXR front end that would be perfect for a 550. You would need to pick up a complete wheel with brakes and axle. Probably more than you want to get into though.

Comment

That's definetly 550 bodywork and frame and engine look to be as well.

I have the exact forks and springs gathering dust in my garage if you want them. If you want just the springs I can do that too. Are the sliding portion of the forks rusted out?
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Misprint....

Okay well, after all the comments, The body and frame are a 550. I haven't been able to tell if the engine is a 550, but judging by the oil capacity (2600) That tells me that someone was telling porky pies (Lies) in their listing.

Oh well, I still like it

Okay on to the forks... I popped the caps and the springs popped up a bit and I pulled them out. I used an old hanger to check to see if there was any fluid in there and I didn't see any from either side. I also looked at the anti dive system. I t seems that the banjo bolt was removed on one side but not capped off. THe left side has a cap on it.

I jacked up the bike the best I could without a MC jack (enough to get the front wheel off the ground) and the forks do slide up and down. They are a little stiff, but that could be from having no fluid in them (Mind you this is also without springs and caps installed)

So... now that I know there are springs... Where do I go from here? Im guessing that the fluid was drained from the anti-dive system because there is no sign of leaking seals.

Otherwise.. I am about to get a batterey, some plugs, and a choke cable... unless of course someone has a spare...

Thanks for the help.

Vinny

Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2007, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X