Clear All

85 Gs550l Won't Keep Running

CLEANED OUT THE CARBSTODAY
    WANTS TO START BUT WON'T KEEP RUNNING
    NO MILAGE ON BIKE 7155 ORIGINAL
    NEW PLUGS OIL AND FILTER
    HELP

Re: 85 Gs550l Won't Keep Running

It could be any number of things, but before being able to make a suggestion, what does "cleaned out the carbs today mean"? what did you do?

Earl

Originally posted by garyein1
    CLEANED OUT THE CARBSTODAY
    WANTS TO START BUT WON'T KEEP RUNNING
    NO MILAGE ON BIKE 7155 ORIGINAL
    NEW PLUGS OIL AND FILTER
    HELP
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

First of all make sure everything is back on.

If you want to be sure its the carbs, put everything back on the bike first. The air box, a clean oiled filter, and new o-rings in the manifold boots. Elimenate all these possibilities first and then concentrate on the carbs. I would also clean out the tank and rebuild the petcock while you are at it. If you are not sure if it has ever been done that is.

Comment

Seems like this is the most common question on this forum.
        I'm assuming you've done a "real" thorough carb cleaning (use a good manual - like Clymer). If not, do that for sure.
        But, before that:
        Don't forget to check your air filter element and check for any air leaks at any of the boots connecting the carbs to the engine and air box. Also, seal the tiny air leaks between the air box lid and air box (try silicone). In my case (1980 GS450L), the air filter element had disintegrated and there were tiny air leaks in various other places. I had cleaned the carbs (several times) and it would not run right. It was only after I resolved ALL the air flow and air leak issues that the bike ran decently. The CV carbs on our bikes are VERY sensitive to improper air flow.
        You will drive yourself nuts cleaning the carb a million times (as I did) only to finally realize that the air flow (or leak) problems were critical as well.

Comment

Working...
        X