Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crank Bearing Damaged, Crank Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treat the ole girl right....bite the bullet, split the cases, and do whatever is neccessary before any more serious damage occurs! She will thank you for it in the long run.:-D
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Thanks for the advice I needed to hear it!

Im going to split the cases. What else should i check out while i am in there?

Replace piston rings, replace gaslets and o-rings, examine oil pump, cam chain, sliders and valve heads and seats as a minimum?

Comment

Originally posted by j_fitz7 View Post
        I've been thinking more about the situation. The only real damage i can see is to the sleve that cradles the balls in the races.

I have been considering sealing everything up and trying to run it as is. I would change the oil right away to collect the metal shavings and monitor the engine for the sounds and vibrations which might indiacte the crank bearing is damaged.

Can I get anyone on the GSResources to agree with this plan, or does it seem too risky? Why?

Thanks.
        IT WON'T LAST, and what part of that motor do you want impaled in your leg(s) when it does let go? :shock:

Comment

Anyone think that this bearing could be replaced by just dropping the bottom half of the case off and swapping out the bearing by pulling the pistons down in the bores?

I just talked to a local guy mechanic who said he would try that first and proceed with the full rebuild if that was not secuessful.

Comment

Anyone think that this bearing could be replaced by just dropping the bottom half of the case off and swapping out the bearing by pulling the pistons down in the bores?

I just talked to a local guy mechanic who said he would try that first and proceed with the full rebuild if that was not secuessful.
            That's what I was thinking. Motor upside-down, bottom case-half off, pull off the cam chain tensioner and you might have enough slack to get a puller on that bearing...?

Comment

I've done that, but instead of a crank bearing, I replaced a transmission on my 1100E. It can be done but it is a bit of a pain. You might consider a good rebuild to inspect everything...it would add the cost of a top end gasket set (maybe the cam chain guides if they are in bad shape and a cam chain) and about 5 hours to the process but you would have peace of mind when you finished.

Hap

Comment

If you plan on replacing that bearing, you'd better order it now. I ordered the same bearing 4 weeks ago for my project and it just showed up. I was told they were out of stock in the U.S. Mine came from Japan.:shock:
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

thanks for the tip i ordered the bearing,

For the gaskets and o rings needed for a complete rebuild, can someone reccomend a complete set by an aftermarket manufacturer? or should I order the OEM parts?

this kit by athena has 66 pieces, i dont have a clue what they all are?

Supplying new parts for Vintage Motorcycles! Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. Old Bike Barn has what you need for your vintage motorcycle project!

Comment

Working...
                  X