Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never done this before your advice is needed carb cleaning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never done this before your advice is needed carb cleaning.

My bike is hard to start when cold and idle is slightly rough and bike seems to miss occasionally at idle like every 30 seconds or so, never timed the miss though. With this in mind, the bike runs great throughout the range of rpms no missing n bogging just great the only problem is the idle I have made sure the air filter element is seated-sealed. my boots are ok. My conclusion is I need to clean my carbs but I have never done this so I' quite a bit anxious about doing this as I dont want to mess them up with the riding season coming up. I forgot to add that my idle is set at about 1100rpm and after warmed up and ridden for a while if I leave the bike sit at idle it has this miss every so often and usually left set at idle long enough it will die and then the battery is vertually dead. I have checked my voltages and they seem to be in line with the stator papers, also my wire connections have been cleaned. Its been a while since I checked those voltages but If memory serves me correctly they were about 13v at idle and up to almost 14 at higher rpm never dropping below about 13v.

Will cleaning the carbs help my idle and the miss and why with my voltages what they are does the battery go ded when the bike sits at idle for say 15-30 minutes.

Mainly I'm planning on cleaning the carbs to answer some of these questions and I need advice. I do have the original factory manual and I assume it will tel me step by step how to but I know I may not have all the tools needed especially those to sync the carbs when I'm done. Please help me.

Matt

It sounds like you do need to clean the carbs. It is not real hard but take picture and make notes if you are not sure. You can also refer to the carb cleanup series in the forum garage. You will probably need to completly diassemble and seperate them from the mounting rack. any kind of air leak will effect there operation. If you have not got your parts yet, email Robert.Barr@worldnet.att.net for an O ring kit I think they are still $12. and is enough for all 4 BS type carbs. Just remember to take your time. What I usually do is to use Glad disposible storage containers, 4 of them, one for each carb. to keep all of the parts seperate and to keep them from getting lost. To sync the carbs you can get in the ballpark by measuring the throtle blade openings with feeler gauge or small # drill and set them to the same measurement. What am saying is you have (2) 1/16 drill bits put one in the #3 carb to position the throtle blade as reference ( I think #3) and adjust the other three for a snug fit using the other drill bit. As to the battery?? usually if everthing is working you will probably read over 14 volts at 4K RPM Charging sounds low, maybe just meter accuracy. Charge the battery and measure the battery voltage with the battery disconnected should read 12.6 volts hook the battery up with the ign off and check the reading again. should be the same. Start the bike and recheck voltage at Idle with all lights turned on, should read 13V recheck at 4K+ should read 14+ volts. Also Make sure that the RR has a direct ground from one of the RR mounting bolt to the (-) battery terminal. Hope this helps Lynn

Comment

I think your carbs are probably not the BS type in the "Cleaning Your Carbs" series. Even though, it's not hard to do. Make sure you set the floats correctly when you put it back together. I rebuilt mine with no problems. The O-rings that Robert Barr sells are not specifically for your VM carbs, but some of them will work. I found the others at a local auto parts store. Make sure all the small holes are clean too. I'd just take one apart at a time so I could look at the others if I got confused. Also, make sure you count the turns on both needle valves so you know how to re-install them. If you use the search feature, you can find advice on adjusting them if you need it. Good luck.

Terry

Comment

He doesn't say in his post what kind of bike he has

Comment

Wow. I could have sworn that I saw he had a '79 GS750. Don't know where I dreamed that up. This old age thing is scarey!!!

Terry

Comment

I didnt know any bikes ran smoothly during warm up. And cold could be cold in 75 degree weather or cold in Canada in march??

Comment

Another neat way to keep parts in order is to use an ice cube tray to put parts in. There are enough compartments to soak jets, etc. in carb cleaner and put screws, etc. in dry compartments. This is also very handy for keeping valve shims in order.

Comment

I have an 82 GS650glz with nikuni cars dont know the difference between cv and the like. I just dont want o make the bike worse than it is right now I can satrt let warm up then ride and just make sure and shut it off when I stop for any length of time but I would like to get it tip top. I would ride in 40 degree plus weather if it was such a hassle to get it started and warmed up.

Comment

Working...
                X