Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment

1983 GS1100ED
    I Removed The Cam Chain Tensioner To Replace The Oil Seal, But After Reinstallint It, I Can't Figure Out The Procedure To Adjust The Tensioner.

Cam chain tensioners on all models I'm aware of are self-adjusting.

Comment

Thanks. There is a thumb wheel on one side and a screw inside a nut (valve tappet style) on the other side. Before disassembly, twisting the thumb wheel resulted in a rat-a-tat reaction. Now nothing happens. Screwing in the screw adjuster is the only thing that makes the noise almost stop.

Comment

Hopefully you loosened the locknut and screwed in the screw before disassembly...? Was the plunger still attached when you pulled it out?

There's not really an "adjustment" procedure, but there is a "cocking" procedure when you re-install it. You push the plunger all the way in as you rotate the knurled knob (with the spring). When it's all the way depressed, lock it with the lock screw. Install tensioner, loosen lock screw (you'll hear it "sproing"), then tighten locknut to keep screw from wiggling too loose.

Comment

The "screw adjuster" (screw inside of the nut) that faces the left side of the engine should not be tightened against the plunger when the engine is running (the lock-nut should be tightened of course). That screw there to keep the plunger from popping out under spring pressure when you remove and install it.

The way to install the tensioner is to push the plunger all the way in (you'll have to lift the knurled knob by twisting it to do this) and then lock it in place with the screw. Then put the tensioner on the bike and release the screw enough to pop the plunger into place and hold it (the screw) with the lock-nut. Your good to go from there if your tensioner is in good working order.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2007, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I didn't do anything with the locknut before disassembly, but the plunger came out with the unit. When reinstalling, I had to hold the unit in against the tension of the plunger and install the screws (no fun). Apparently, I should back off the screw and tighten the locknut to allow the plunger to freely move.

Comment

Which direction should the knob be held in by the spring's tension - clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Comment

Yeah, you didn't install it right. Its no big deal, just take it off and "cock it" as suggested above, install it and then release the screw. You'll hear it "pop" into place.

The spring on the knob should be attempting to turn the knob clockwise.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

The way you've got it installed now is *maximum* tension against the cam chain. Hope you didn't run it that way for long! Could that damage the cam chain guide to force it in like that I wonder? Hope not...

Comment

It's been that way for about 50 miles and I have to ride it home.

Comment

Originally posted by CWM View Post
                        It's been that way for about 50 miles and I have to ride it home.
                        For some reason, I assumed that you hadn't ridden the bike much or at all. You might seriously consider fixing it on the road or hauling it home in a truck. If you're really cranking on the cam chain and chain guide you could possibly do some damage or wear things pretty good. You've got some important pieces that will be pretty heavily stressed......if it was me I'd fix it first.

Wait for some other opinions.............
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2007, 04:42 PM.

Comment

There's *no way* I'd ride it like that. You can fix it with basic tools -- do it before you ride it again or you could have a really big/expensive repair on your hands.

Comment

I took the liberty of getting you the website of one of the more esteemed members here (hope you don't mind). Very simple/straightforward How-To. Good Luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X