Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak (with pics)

Hey guys,

I think I may have found the source of my oil leak (sort of anyway) thanks to a thread on here by another fellow. I thought I would check with the experts here to make sure I am not on the wrong path.

Here is where I think the leak starts:

And I think most of the oil drains through this hole (the one next to what I think is the tranny drain plug - correct me if I'm wrong)...what do you guys think...? According to that other thread, this hole may drain from the starter cavity...

So, if that is the case which seal/o-ring would I need to replace in this
    diagram...?

And would there be a way to do this without removing the carbs (does not look like it but I thought I would ask )?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2007, 03:36 PM.

small thin rathcet ont he bolts after disconnecting hte batery

the starte will slide back and you may be able to lift it straight up then pull it out towards you.

its a tight fit though

have fun

Comment

17 prevents oil from leaking externally into the cavity where the starter motor sits.
      3 prevents oil from leaking into the starter motor then leaking out into the cavity where the starter motor sits.

Comment

Huh, you guys are fast.

I had a bit of a difficult time getting the bolt out on the far side in that first pic. What about 6 and 12...? Maybe I am better off replacing all of them since I am in there anyway...?

I guess that is definitely my leak though, hey? I assume it should be oil free in there?

Thanks again.

Comment

those would be like 3 just to keep contaminants out of the starter

I opened mine to check the brushes and other specs and its amazing how clean and shimy they stay on the inside even with the minimal dust formt he brushes.

I doubt they would get any dynamic loading so they are likely fine

it would be quite easy to cut or mar the 17 ring as the edge of the hole in the case is quite sharp

use some lube when inserting and maybe remove the carbs cos if the fit is tight yah may be forced to slide the shaft in on an angle possible damaging the new seal

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
            those would be like 3 just to keep contaminants out of the starter

I opened mine to check the brushes and other specs and its amazing how clean and shimy they stay on the inside even with the minimal dust formt he brushes.

I doubt they would get any dynamic loading so they are likely fine

it would be quite easy to cut or mar the 17 ring as the edge of the hole in the case is quite sharp

use some lube when inserting and maybe remove the carbs cos if the fit is tight yah may be forced to slide the shaft in on an angle possible damaging the new seal
            So you think 17 would be the only one I would need to change...? I am a little nervous about messing with the carbs as I have never done that before...is the easiest way to remove them to loosen the clamps on either side and slide them out...? I guess to remove the starter it looks like I would just loosen the #14 screws and slide the starter back/up/out...?

I guess I should get a manual.

Thanks again for you help.

Comment

someone who has worked on this specific model should be able to answer this

I am sure I can do it on my 550 but i have to remove the cam chain tensioner and move sa top oiler hose not the carbs though

your bike looks like it has a lot of wiggle space though much more than mine

someone here has done this and can give a definitive answer.

the nice hting is you have a camera so get a friend to take lots of pics as you work so reassembly isnt such a guessing\memory\logic game.

Comment

sorry yes 17 is likely all you need 3 maybe but I doubt it if the starter is cranking fine

if the seal was bad pressure would most likely have contaminated things by now

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                  sorry yes 17 is likely all you need 3 maybe but I doubt it if the starter is cranking fine

if the seal was bad pressure would most likely have contaminated things by now
                  Yeah the starter works great - I sometimes do not even have to choke to start.

And by contamination you mean the starter not working, right...?

Thanks a bunch for your help Calvin.

Comment

yah not cranking or doing so slowly\erratically
                    oil and the brush dust would conspire to make a nasty slurry in there

Comment

I just replaced the starter on my 79 GS850 without pulling the carbs. I also have a Pacifico Shadow Classic fairing with lowers mounted on the bike. It IS a tight fit but can be done. Use a 10mm socket for the bolts that hold the starter in. I used a deep well socket then switched to a regular depth with an extention.
                      Good Luck

Scott

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys. I just ordered the o-ring. Unfortunately it will only be in next Thursday. I let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

The o-ring is a standard metric size -- if you can find an auto parts store that sells metric o-rings, you can find an exact replacement. Bring the starter with you, or measure the groove with calipers if you have them.

Removing and replacing the carbs is much easier than you think it is, and the added room to maneuver and reduced frustration will be well worth the extra few minutes involved to pull the carbs. Overall, you'll likely save time by pulling the carbs first.

By the way, exactly what sort of motorcycle is that? I don't believe it's mentioned.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

zx7, I am a little confused, is the oil leaking into the starter well? I would be sure it isn't leaking from the base gasket or above. One of my 650g (like yours) was leaking from about everywhere and made it difficult to determine source. I am still dealing with a seeping oil pan gasket as well as gear shifter shaft seal.

Since my tranny failure, I have resurrected my 650 parts bike and the other is sitting in back of garage where I could take a look to see how bad it is to get starter out. I doubt you will have room to pull out starter without pulling carbs. Pulling carbs is not too difficult, putting them back is the fun...

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              The o-ring is a standard metric size -- if you can find an auto parts store that sells metric o-rings, you can find an exact replacement. Bring the starter with you, or measure the groove with calipers if you have them.

Removing and replacing the carbs is much easier than you think it is, and the added room to maneuver and reduced frustration will be well worth the extra few minutes involved to pull the carbs. Overall, you'll likely save time by pulling the carbs first.

By the way, exactly what sort of motorcycle is that? I don't believe it's mentioned.
                              Sorry bwringer, I thought I had mentioned it, but that was in another thread. It is a 81 GS650G.

I am a little hesitant to pull the carbs for 2 reasons:

1) I have never done it before and I don't want to mess anything up (I don't have a manual yet, although I plan on getting one). I do not know how old some of the parts are and I have read some stories here when pulling things apart, parts have torn/broken.
                              2) She's my daily driver and if I do mess something up, I don't want her sitting while I drive my pig of a truck 130 - 150 km every day. She really sucks the gas.

Having said that I sure do enjoy working on her! :-D Maybe my fears are unfounded though...

Thanks for the tip on the o-ring. I'll see if I can find the time to pull the starter and run to town. There is a NAPA close by.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                              X