Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do my compression numbers look?

Hello!

I don't really have much power, so I was planning on rebuilding the carbs. Before I set to work on that, I did a compression test.

This is on my 82 GS850L, and the numbers were pretty strange. I was wondering if I could get some input on what they might mean for this engine, and what you guys recommend I should do to fix it.

Thus, if it is rebuild time, should I bother or just get another bike for the money?

CYLINDER | . 1 . | . 2 . | . 3 . | . 4
    NO OIL . . | 120 | 118. | 085. | 142
    OILED. . . | 148. | 141. | 133. | 165
    Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2007, 10:12 PM. Reason: Spelling and Grammer

Did you do this test on a warm engine and the throttle wide open?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Did you do this test on a warm engine and the throttle wide open?

Yes, and yes

Comment

Has this bike been run on a regular basis? Has it sat for any amount of time recently? If it has the rings might need some time to reseat. If not it looks like your rings need replaced on #3. Seems odd to have such a difference in wear.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Hmm, yes, it sat outside for a year, but I've ridden it about 100 miles since.

Could it still just need to be ridden?

Comment

Might need to be ridden, could also be affected by Valve adjustment. If #3 is completely out of adjustment it could be holding that valve open a little & letting the "bang" out

If so it's not doing your valve seats any good... a check wouldn't hurt. Use Suzuki method not Clymer.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Allright, I'll try riding it first! Know any good ways to find out if it's the rings or the valves?

I think the leakdown test is saying that it's more likely to be the compression rings.

Also, the plug on #3 indicated a rich running condition, unlike the others.

Also, what is the "Suzuki Method" ?
              Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2007, 10:22 PM.

Comment

There is too big of a difference between the lowest & highest pressures. There is also quite a big increase in pressure with oil indicating rings are in order. the rich condition on #3 could just be inadequate combustion due to low pressure.

Comment

Well, I just checked and my charging system is shot too.

Also the big red wire coming out of the fuse box behind the battery gets pretty hot while running.

Seriously, with the charging system shot, the engine needs to be rebuilt, likely with a bit of head work, the carbs need to be rebiult and resynchronized, the body is trashed, turn signals don't work, etc etc . . . I'm not happy about this.

At least it has decent tires?

Honestly I'm thinking about just selling this thing
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2007, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Get the valve cover off & check the clearance of the valves. If you do a search under my name you will find a post from Nessism with the Suzuki method of doing it attached. You can just print it out.

You need a set of metric feeler gauges. www.z1enterprises.com if you can't find them elsewhere.

I have a feeling that valve is out of spec & giving the low figure.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The oil in the cylinder trick is raising his compression substantially which usually points to rings. I would put some PB Blaster in the cylinders and let them sit for a couple of days while adding more each day. Maybe this will break loose the troubled rings.

Comment

Good, cuz I just finished rebuilding all the carbs :P

Thanks again!!!

Comment

OK, new question. when I took the carbs off to rebuild them the "intake manifold" part came apart with them. All four of mine are broken.

What in the world am I supposed to do about that?

This bike is just more and more trouble . . .

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Tofuball View Post
                            OK, new question. when I took the carbs off to rebuild them the "intake manifold" part came apart with them. All four of mine are broken.

What in the world am I supposed to do about that?
                            Replace them, along with the large O-ring sealing them to the head.:shock:
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              The oil in the cylinder trick is raising his compression substantially which usually points to rings. I would put some PB Blaster in the cylinders and let them sit for a couple of days while adding more each day. Maybe this will break loose the troubled rings.
                              Looking at the figures again, I bow to your greater knowledge :-D

Checking the valves when you don't know the history of the bike is never a bad thing though.

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                              X