Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    Looking at the figures again, I bow to your greater knowledge :-D

Checking the valves when you don't know the history of the bike is never a bad thing though.

Dan
    I don't deserve that kind of respect. Your knowledge is greater to or equal to mine.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Replace them, along with the large O-ring sealing them to the head.:shock:
      Allright, all parts ordered, $120

I was hoping there was some kind of glue to use, but these dried, hardened rubber tubes are never going to stick to anything ever again, much less a flat aluminum surface.

Thanks for the advice.

Checking the valves when you don't know the history of the bike is never a bad thing though.

Dan

Very true, thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      I don't deserve that kind of respect. Your knowledge is greater to or equal to mine.
      Well, I'm sure you deserve some respect, you all do, it's not like I'm paying any of you for the advice :P

(Thanks for it)

Comment

I'm new to bikes... pulled one or two cars apart in my time though!!

I'm a quick study though

Chef - I think you've had yours in more pieces than I've had mine!! Hoping perhaps I can catch up with you on the way through to Yosemite.....

Good luck
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm new to bikes... pulled one or two cars apart in my time though!!

I'm a quick study though

Chef - I think you've had yours in more pieces than I've had mine!! Hoping perhaps I can catch up with you on the way through to Yosemite.....

Good luck
          I plan on hooking up with you on your way. You can even stop in for a break cause I live right off 99.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Good man.... we should trade numbers nearer the time.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

OK, I replaced all four intake manifolds and their O-rings, all the O-rings in the carbs, and blasted it all out with carb cleaner while it was apart.

Now the bike will not go over 10mph

It runs like total crap.

I hate this bike.

Comment

Is there anywhere you would recommend that I could send my carbs to have them rebuilt professionally?

The carbs have got to be the problem.

Comment

How does the bike idle? Can you bring the RPM's up slowly? Is it hitting on all four? There is an easy explination for this, we just have to figure it out! I know where you're coming from...I was about to shove mine over a cliff, now I won't part with it! If my list of projects weren't soooooooo long, I'd offer to do the carbs for you...maybe someone else here will. I'm not sure I'd take them to a shop, unless they specialize in older bikes, you'll get them back in the same shape that they got them in, IMHO.

Hang in there...we'll get it figured out, Uncle Mike holds the record for frustration and you're nowhere near that yet. Sorry Mike........

Comment

The bike idles very strangely.

When I turn the choke up all the way into high idle territory it idles at about 1.5K. Then as it warms up and I move the choke down it will idle around 2K or so. Then, after it's warm, I'll drive around and it will idle very low and sometimes stall out.

With no load, I can get the revs to climb moderately fast, but under load its not happening. 4KRPM maximum.

How can I tell if it's not firing on all cylinders?
                    I think it is. It was before.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's what I need to keep me from just tossing the bike.

I'm just so down because I just have no clue how to get this sorted out without dumping a lot of cash in it or paying someone else to do it.

Comment

Have you synched the carbs? Did you check the valves?

Can't offer much more insight than that, sorry. Keep plugging away though.

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Hmm, I'll just chime in with my opinion guys.

Those compression figures are woeful, to be honest. Not only the variation, but with that cylinder at 85psi you're just not going to get it running right no matter what else you do. 100psi is really the working minimum. So fiddling with the carbies etc. is basically futile at this stage.

It is time for a top-end rebuild. I know this sounds like the last thing you want to do, but honestly it needs to be done.

On the good news side, the fact that your cylinders took such a jump in compression when you added oil, says that basically the rings are stuffed. At least your valves seem to be sealing OK. So you *may* be able to get away with only a new set of rings and having the bores honed.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
                          It is time for a top-end rebuild. I know this sounds like the last thing you want to do, but honestly it needs to be done.
                          Any idea where can I buy a kit for this? Or do I have to buy all the parts separately?

Before at least I had a top speed of 80 and could commute using the bike. Now it's just useless.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Parts should be available from a dealer or an on-line dealer. You might want to look up Mark since he has gone through top end the saga...
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Basically, you'll need a top-end gasket kit, which should include:
                              1. Head gasket
                              2. Base gasket
                              3. Exhaust flange gaskets
                              4. Cam cover gasket
                              5. Breather cover gasket
                              6. Oil passage O-rings
                              7. Cam tunnel O-ring
                              8. Cylinder sleeve O-rings
                              9. Cam-cover half-moon seals

Or you could buy those items seperately, if you don't think you need all of them (eg. if your cam cover gasket is OK and reuseable).

Be careful if you buy an aftermarket gasket kit; you will need to make sure that the head gasket in the kit has O-rings already fitted into it, so that you won't have oil leaking out of the oil-ways that go up the studs to supply the head.

If you decide upon a genuine Suzuki head gasket, try not to let Suzuki sell you a multi-layer steel (MLS) gasket, as they will only be oil-tight on a head/block that is spot-on.

You should also factor in a fresh set of valve stem seals.

The most expensive items will be the 4 sets of piston rings... recently I paid around AUS$70 per set. That hurt a bit, but it's unavoidable. You'll also need new gudgeon-pin circlips (*never* re-use the old ones).

I also paid about $60 to get the cylinder block professionally honed.

All of this is assuming that your pistons and bores are still within acceptable specification. If not, you'll be up for a piston kit and associated re-boring of the cylinder block. Check out the Wiseco website for ideas on prices. You'll be horrified but remember that they come with piston rings, gudgeon circlips, and a head gasket to suit the oversize pistons... so it's not so horrific when you factor all that in.

While it's all apart, at least you'll have the opportunity to dismantle and thoroughly rebuild your carbies while you're waiting on parts, etc. to arrive. You also can take your time de-coking valves and carefully removing old gaskets -- generally preparing everything carefully for reassembly. Whenever I've done a top-end rebuild on one of my bikes (four rebuilds so far, not including a mate's Kawasaki), I've also gone for new air filters and spark plugs, just to be doubly sure that we're off to a fresh start on fresh parts.

Finally, *don't* run-in the refreshed engine with synthetic oil; use a good quality mineral oil to aid the bedding-in process.

I hope that others on the forum here will chime in if they feel I've missed something.

All the best,
                              Mike.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2007, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Yeeeouch, the Wiseco stuff is $550 American, and I still have to buy more stuff?

Forget it!

A top end rebiuld seems more reasonable, but if I'm far enough out of spec this bike is as good as a parts heap.

I'm going to do a real rebiuld\sychronize on the carbs first, and check the valves once I get my garage clean enough to find my metric feeler gauges, then I'll see how much checking the cams helps.

Is this the top end kit I should buy? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...spagenameZWDVW

My cam cover gasket is reusable, because it's brand new.

Thanks for the responses!

Comment

Working...
                                X