No announcement yet.

Horn mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a similar problem with my 1977 CB550. If the bike was off, it didn't send enough voltage to operate the horn, probably a result of 30 year old wiring. Once the bike was running, had a fully charged battery with a properly working charging system, the horn and signals would work. Horn nor signals worked properly if the motor was off ~

JM

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies.
      I had been thinking about using a squeeze bulb horn. Just kind of took it as point pride (stupidity?) to not be beat by a horn.
      I counted 6 springs. One under each copper connector 3, one to keep tension on the ball baring, one for the headlight switch, and one for the turn signals, my extra.
      Taking it apart the first time was the easy part:shock:. It just kind of handgrenaded in my hand. The button stays in place and everything gets installed on top of it. I've taken it apart several times now.

Comment

The point is not so much that the horn needs to work, it's that the electrical connections need to be solid. Getting the horn going is an excuse to review the wiring loom before something important melts.

MarkF
        Mark Fisher
        sigpic
        ..............................27 years

Comment

Working...
        X