Broken Stud on bottom of fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Stud on bottom of fork

My brother called me today to ask some advice on a broken stud on his 2005 Harley Davidson Fatboy. He took the front wheel off to have the front tire changed. When he went to put the wheel back on and torque the bottom fork nuts to specifications, one of them broke just as the torque wrench clicked. He is trying to get the stud out so he can put a new one in. From what hes told me there is only enough thread left sticking out for a nut to screw on. He has one of the propane torchs and has tried heating it up and using vice grips to back it out. He said that the vice grips are not really bitting good and are just spinning on the threads. I would help but I am in Detroit and he lives in Illinois near Chicago. I told him to send me a pic so I could better understand the situation. But if any of you have any other tips or tricks that would help let me know so I can pass it on. He wants to ride here to Michigan next weekend.When he emails me a pic of the stud in question I will post it. I know its not GS related but you all have been very helpfull in the past for me so I thought I would ask for your input.

consider welding the nut onto the end of the stud? That with help from a torch on the legs and he should have a fighting chance

Comment

Stripped or broken fork studs happens to everyone eventually. Looks like Harley also uses fasteners made from pressed cheddar cheese and sawdust.

With so little sticking out, a quick couple of welds inside a nut would be the best bet. Basically, tiny spot welds with a MIG so it doesn't get hot enough to harm the aluminum fork leg.

He might be best off removing the fork leg and taking it to a decent mechanic who has certainly dealt with something similar before.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

All the suggestions above will work, it depends on the size of your pocket and the age of the machine.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Thanks for the info guys I wasn't to sure how hot you could get the stud with it being on the fork.I didn't know if it would harm the fork or boil the fork oil inside if it got to hot. I did not loosen those nuts when I changed my front forks I just lightly tapped the axle bolt through with a hammer and a spare axle bolt from the parts bike. Taking the fork off and taking it up to the mechanic was my other suggestion. He really did not want to have to do that though if he didn't have to. I am not that familiar with his bike would his forks come off the same as on the gs bikes ? Just loosen the pinch nuts and the fork would slide out? I put up a few pics he didn't email me a pic of the broken stud though yet.

Comment

Even with all the poker runs I've been on (and outnumbered by Harleys by at least 100:1), I don't recall ever seeing one on a centerstand. Maybe they don't come with 'em.

My guess would be that after careful removal of all the chrome accoutrements (note I didn't use the word bull$hit) there's bound to be a triple tree in there somewhere.

Based on the existence of a front brake lever, there must also be some type of braking mechanism underneath said accoutrements.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
              Even with all the poker runs I've been on (and outnumbered by Harleys by at least 100:1), I don't recall ever seeing one on a centerstand. Maybe they don't come with 'em.

My guess would be that after careful removal of all the chrome accoutrements (note I didn't use the word bull$hit) there's bound to be a triple tree in there somewhere.

Based on the existence of a front brake lever, there must also be some type of braking mechanism underneath said accoutrements.
              Yeah there is no center stand on Harleys.Even if they did have one it would probably be damn near impossible to rock the bike up on it as heavy as they are. He does have the bike on a bike lift though.

Comment

I'd sure give that torque wrench some careful thought before I used it again!
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                X