Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signals not working on 79 GS1000

hey all -

first time motorcycle owner here. just finished my MSC over the past weekend, and picked up a 79 GS1000 Sunday night. so far, i love it! it has a few of the common issues such as the infamous clutch rattle and tach cable oil leak (will take care of this weekend), but other than that it is a smooth rider.

one thing i can't figure out is why i do not have any turn signals. they don't turn on at all. the fuse is OK, but that's honestly as much as i have checked. when i push the turn signal button, nothing happens. i don't feel any sort of engagement that would indicate to me that the light is on, but since this bike is new to me, maybe that's normal?

any help would be greatly appreciated. please keep in mind, i'm a complete newb to any bike, let alone this guy. i am a gearhead, though, so don't feel you have to dumb it down TOO much.

thanks!

Mike

Originally posted by whiteboyslo View Post
    hey all -

first time motorcycle owner here. just finished my MSC over the past weekend, and picked up a 79 GS1000 Sunday night. so far, i love it! it has a few of the common issues such as the infamous clutch rattle and tach cable oil leak (will take care of this weekend), but other than that it is a smooth rider.

one thing i can't figure out is why i do not have any turn signals. they don't turn on at all. the fuse is OK, but that's honestly as much as i have checked. when i push the turn signal button, nothing happens. i don't feel any sort of engagement that would indicate to me that the light is on, but since this bike is new to me, maybe that's normal?

any help would be greatly appreciated. please keep in mind, i'm a complete newb to any bike, let alone this guy. i am a gearhead, though, so don't feel you have to dumb it down TOO much.

thanks!

Mike

LET ME JUST SAY,WELCOME TO THE gs FAMILY.Another thing,every problem that you have or might have with a GS these guys know how to fix it,how to diagnose it,and how to explain how to fix it.One more thing,always think simple.Before you go buying flashers,signal control units,etc check simple things first.i.e.,the bulbs,the fuses.Replace very fuse in the bike right now before you go any further, and clean all the contact points every fuse is pushed into.I had fuses that looked perfect.I replaced them anyway and some items started magically working after that.Wires,grounds,etc comes after the simplest things are checked.I got my bike and the right turn signals didnt work.Someone had disconnected them for some reason.?
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Welcome! The turn signal switch does not have a detent position. DO the turn lights come on when the switch is held on ?? Try a new flasher ($3 auto flasher works). two prong under left side cover.. If the turn signal control box is bad Best to rewire it for manual turn signals.

Comment

Turn signal controll box could be fried.

Trying to fix my headlight switch I accidentally shorted some leads; I accidentally destroyed the Turn Signal Controll Unit (a Black box located under right side cover). Once destroyed the signals worked exactly as you describe: nothing. Online I was able to find a used Turn Signal Controll Unit ($30 plus shipping) and the problem was solved. This is their store: www.crcycleusa.com

Comment

I just had my directional switch apart last night. It's a 78 GS1000. I had signals to the left, but not the right. I pulled the switch apart and found a corroded contact. I cleaned it up, switched it by hand before putting it all back together, and all worked well. Once back together it didn't work to the right again. I found that the plate pressing the actuator arm down wasn't applying enough pressure. I bent the mount tabs a little, reassembled, and voila! it works again (I need to apply pressure a little differently to the right than the left, but at least it works). If all your bulbs and fuses are good, check the switch just for kicks.

Comment

thanks for the start, guys!

to clarify, NOTHING is turning on when i flick the switch, left/right or front/rear. this leads me to believe that it's not a flasher since my experience with cars tells me that light would at least come one solidly, justnot flash. could be wrong, though, and it's a cheap part to start with. i'm thinking it's something up in the switch. i'll check it out some more.

Thanks!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by whiteboyslo View Post
              thanks for the start, guys!

to clarify, NOTHING is turning on when i flick the switch, left/right or front/rear. this leads me to believe that it's not a flasher since my experience with cars tells me that light would at least come one solidly, justnot flash. could be wrong, though, and it's a cheap part to start with. i'm thinking it's something up in the switch. i'll check it out some more.

Thanks!

Mike
              Howdy Mike......Your automotive experience is valid but to clarify, there's 2 systems for signals on your year/model bike.....manual-cancel which works like you'd expect (broken wires/bulbs/switch/open flasher would be your problem) and a self-cancelling system which uses a 10 wire module, has momentary input from the turn switch, a distance sensor and the flasher (they call it a relay).....this one can have all the above plus open circuit problems within this module. My 79 Gs1000 for example has the manual-cancel OEM setup - pretty simple.

Comment

Working...
              X