new turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new turn signals

i'm putting some aftermarket turn signals from jc whitney on my 81 gs450l and plan on attaching them to the backrest assembly to get them out of the way for saddlebags. when i wired them in they would light up but not flash. they are single filament bulbs. should i have gotten dual filament bulbs? the bulbs in the original signals seem to be single filament. do i need some kind of electronic device to make this work. a resistor or something like that? i did the same thing to my sv650 and now the signals flash faster than they used to. that i don't mind but i want the gs's signals to flash without having to flip the switch repeatedly. thanks. i know this is probably a rudimentary problem but so is my knowledge of motorcycle electrical voodoo.

If they light up but don't flash, it sounds like a load problem. Because they light, it at least sounds like they are grounded properly.

Are they in fact turn signals or might they be marker lights in a turn signal housing? What is the number on the bulb? If American-type bulbs are used, it will probably be an 1156. If European-type bulbs are used, it might be labeled 23w or 27w. If you have other bulbs, it might not pass enough current to activate the flasher relay.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

they are marker lights. i bought them because of the amount of space i have to put them in. any way to make them work or should i send them back? what would work? different bulbs in the same housing?
      Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2007, 10:01 AM.

Comment

How many watts are they? Do you remember how many watts the old bulbs used?

Comment

1156 bulb sounds like what you need. marker light bulbs may not draw enough current to make flasher work, plus the 1156 will be brighter.

Comment

Properly-bright bulbs in marker light housings may overheat the housing. Granted, they won't be on all the time (hey, they're blinkers 8-[ ), but they may not physically fit. If you insist on using them anyway, you can look for an electronic flasher at the auto parts store. It will cost a bit more than a standard flasher (maybe $15-20), but uses an internal timer to control the flash rate, not the current draw to the bulbs.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

any aftermarket sigs typically don't work with the stock flasher. Try replacing the flasher with an automotive flasher.... 3 bucks at the auto parts store
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by 03svrider View Post
                they are marker lights. i bought them because of the amount of space i have to put them in.

Not sure if one of the $3 flashers would work in this case. Might need one of the $15 flashers I mentioned earlier. 8-[

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                  any aftermarket sigs typically don't work with the stock flasher. Try replacing the flasher with an automotive flasher.... 3 bucks at the auto parts store
                  the gs flasher is under the left sidecover, right?

Comment

Originally posted by 03svrider View Post
                    the gs flasher is under the left sidecover, right?
                    Maybe, maybe not. That's where I thought it was on my bike, ended up being under the gas tank mounted to the frame. I was going crazy trying to figure out what was missing off of the mounting tab, turns out on my bike nothing goes there.

Comment

ok. i think i'll be able to find it. it makes an audible click when the signals are blinking. thanks to all for your suggestions. i found a way to use the stock signals but the jcwhitney's would fit alot better. we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                      X