#2 Carb leaking fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2 Carb leaking fuel

The other day, I was on the bike to run an errand. 10 minutes of hwy riding before stopping at my destination. When I turned the bike off, the #2 carb started to leak out of the drain around the float cover. The leak was more of a pour for a few seconds, then stop, then pour again. It eventually stopped entirely and I still had fuel in the tank. I managed to start the bike up, ride it back home. It didn't seem to leak any fuel on the actual ride, as far as I could tell, but when I got back home, it again started to leak, same #2 carb.

I have a vacuum petcock on the bike without a handle. I can turn what appears to be a white plastic screw head. I've never figured out which is prime and which is vacuum. Initially, the slot was vertical. If I went horizontal, would that mean the opposite of the vertical position?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted
    1978 GS 1000E

If the slot is vertical, the petcock is is the 'on' or 'run' position. Insert screwdriver and turn the screw driver to the right, and you have just put it to the 'reserve' position. Turning screwdriver to the left will set the petcock on 'prime'. At least, that what it would be on my 82 1100EZ. Good luck!

Sounds like a bit of dirt in the needle valve for #2........
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Sounds like you have the tap on the prime position.

Fuel goes to No2 carb direct from the tap.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I should also note, the bike runs fine, just like normal. The plastic screw head rotates around and around. There doesn't seem to be an end point. Since the original position of the slot was vertical, I'll change it to horizontal to see what happens.

If my problem is not the petcock, and it has something to do with the carbs, like dirt in the needle valve, how would I go about finding out for sure? Any other advice?

Thanks,

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by xmishx View Post
          Thanks for the responses guys. I should also note, the bike runs fine, just like normal. The plastic screw head rotates around and around. There doesn't seem to be an end point. Since the original position of the slot was vertical, I'll change it to horizontal to see what happens.

If my problem is not the petcock, and it has something to do with the carbs, like dirt in the needle valve, how would I go about finding out for sure? Any other advice?

Thanks,

Ted
          Sticking float. Enjoy. A temporary fix might be to shoot carb cleaner directly into the carb hose with the engine running and run off that instead of gas but I doubt it will last more than a few weeks or months? Better you should take the carbs off and clean/with new kit of perishables - or have someone who knows how to recalibrate them do it all for you.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2007, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Sticky float... OK. What should I do to make it less sticky? Shoot the hinges with carb cleaner? I really have not idea. Any help???

Thanks,

Ted

Comment

Clean the float seat and valve. Replace the o-ring under the float seat.
              How did you get an 80 petcock on a 78 1000?
              3 and 6 oclock is run
              12 and 6 oclock is prime.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The petcock on the bike came with it when I got it last year. I'm hoping that this is a gas flow problem and not a carb rebuild issue.

So if the petcock has been put to prime, only number 2 carb will leak as I described above? I know I have not touched the petcock. I can't imagine someone with a little screw driver would actually turn it on me. I'm hoping though that it is the case. Otherwise, does sound like a rebuild kit in in order...

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X