Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 82gs1100 View Post
    anybody useing amsoil
    Amsoil is a true synthetic and reputed to be in the very top tier of oils.

Sorry if this post steps on the toes of some others that have posted here in this thread. That's the problem with oil threads, lots of conflicting information which means different people often being openly contradicted - NOTHING PERSONAL.

Synthetic oils come in different varieties: true synthetic (group 4) and super processed dino oil (for lack of a better term) - group 3. This is not to be confused with mixed synthetic which is most usually a mix of dino and group 3.

There is nothing wrong with mixing synthetic with dino - the blends are just that. Even when using true synthetic.

The main advantage of synthetic oils is that they last longer thus you can extend your change interval. They are not more slippery thus they don't protect better - EXCEPT if you overheat the crap out of your engine (which IS possible with an air cooled engine). Synthetics are even appropriate for break-in since again, they are not more slippery. Many OE engines come with synthetic oil from new (like BMW) so no worry about rings not seating and the like.

Most of the newer dino car oils have a very low zinc content. Frankly, I'm not sure if this is a TRUE problem or not - I suspect not. My opinion (key word) is that diesel engine dino oil is a better option since the additive package is more robust and thus appropriate for motorcycles engines.

Hope this information helps clear up some confusion.
    Last edited by Nessism; 06-07-2007, 09:53 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Amsoil is a true synthetic and reputed to be in the very top tier of oils.

Sorry if this post steps on the toes of some others that have posted here in this thread..
      Amsoil is the best, and the only reason I don't use it is because I can't find it over here.

In the States, you can get it mail order. There are independent agents who will send it out to you.

The best known on the Harley forums is George Douglas, who sponsors on at least two forums.

He's a proven man, absolutely straight up.

I can post contact info if anyone's interested.

Comment

Amsoil's "white paper" on motorcycle oils makes interesting reading. They name names and it's dated March 'o6. See it at: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

Tomcat

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
          We have three descriptions in Europe.

'Full Synthetic' - means just that - no Dino content at all.
          Which is why, I believe, Castrol Syntec is formulated differently for the European market....the version available to us is manufactured using 'Group 3' stock.... super-processed Group 3 as Nessism puts it.

BTW,I have never heard of any restrictions placed on mixing full synth and dino oil....I think Mobil says they are fully compatible on their site, IIRC.

Tony.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post

Sorry for the hijack Shawzygs....we always seem to getoff topic.

Tony.
            Tony that article is absolutely hilarious:-D I got my first erection at 15 and it never went away. Didn't know I could blame it on anything:arrow:

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
              BTW,I have never heard of any restrictions placed on mixing full synth and dino oil....I think Mobil says they are fully compatible on their site, IIRC.

Tony.
              It might have been early precautionary advice from when synthetics were still new. If Mobil says it's OK now, then I guess it must be. Maybe it just reduces the service interval, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                It might have been early precautionary advice from when synthetics were still new. If Mobil says it's OK now, then I guess it must be. Maybe it just reduces the service interval, then.
                When synthetics first came out there were a few brands that used a base stock that wasn't oil soluble. They soon realized that being stranded because your vehicle was low on oil, and you couldn't top off with anything but certain brands, wasn't really the way to attact customers to their product.
                JP
                1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                1992 Concours
                2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                2007 FJR

Comment

Thank Goodness for more informed minds than mine

Comment

Working...
                  X