Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Fuel Hole Open

81 GS850 G

On my #1 or outside carb the fuel hole is open. It looks like whatever was filling the hole has detriorated. Could this be why the bike is running poorly and not idling well? If, so, what is the best fix.

Huh?

What fuel hole?
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Esactly where is this hole you are calling the "fuel hole"? There should be a fuel tube that comes from #2 into the right side of #1. This would be in a direct line with the "T" between #2 and #3 that brings fuel from the petcock.

If you have nothing in that hole, it is very understandable why the bike is running poorly.
      You would also have a massive gas leak with the gas pouring out of the left side of #2 carb. :shock:

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No, not that hole. Your right, I'd have some serious problems if that were the case. But what I'm talking about is that same whole but on the outside of #1. Facing the outside of the bike. The hole was filled in by some sort of what seems like wood filler. I haven't had the bike too long. So I don't know what the PO might have done.

Looking at the schematics, it doesn't even label this spot, but like I said it resembles the fuel hole being used on the other side of the carb. Both carbs 1 and 4 have this hole filled with some kind of filler. Perhaps these carbs were not meant to be on the end, and someone put them there at some point. I thought the parts were all original.

I'll take some pics and put them up...

Comment

Yes, there should be a metal plug there, not sure if it's available seperately.

How to close it off? Walt Disney Engineering comes to mind. (That's Mickey Mousing it to the rest of us. 8-[)

Something in the way of an internal-expanding plug comes to mind, but the only ones I know of are made of rubber, so I am not sure if it would be compatible with gas.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Should only be 1/8" deep not all the way thru. If it is deeper goes thru as sugested it may have been MickeyM

Comment

is this an port for attaching a balancer to synch the carbs.

the bike would run god awful if one of these was open.

Comment

I may have found a part to plug it on the CRC part website. We'll see. I'm just wondering what was there originally. It couldn't have been what is there now. That doesn't make sense. It's just some compound that I can scratch off with my fingernail. I can take a screwdriver and go right through it. I put the schematic below. The 'hole' doesn't have a number associated with it. But it is directly ABOVE number 26.

Comment

clean out the hole and use an empoxy filler of some sort

from the pic htis looks like your right and a carb form a different location in the rack was used and the fule pipe hole filled in

if the stuff used to fill eht hole is degraded as much as you say little bits of it are likely i the fule bowl and mucking up fuel metering.

you ougth to drain the bowl to see what comes out

Comment

Maybe it's just a casting hole. Is there anything leaking out of it? As far as filling it, maybe you could somehow attract a Mud Dauber to lay some eggs in there and then cement it closed. These things are always filling in holes on my carbs. I don't know how they can make their own concrete but it's really tough. I used to scape them out but I finally gave up.

Comment

I don't see anything leaking from it. I don't think we have mud Daubers here in MI so I guess I'll have to use some epoxy . I was thinking of taking the carbs out and cleaning them anyway, perhaps I'll do that, and take care of this issue in the process.

Comment

Working...
                      X