New grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New grips

This may seem like a dumb question to some. I want to replace the cheesy grips on my 82 850 with some nice kuriakyn grips. What is the best way to get the old ones off? I don't want to damage the throttle sleeve. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cut 'em!

I've done that on several bikes and just took a sharp utility knife and sliced them lengthwise. Be half-way careful and you won't hurt a thing. Actually, I can't think of another way to do it.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

i cut my left hand grip off with a box cutter but on my bike the right hand throttle grip is one piece and slides off when the switch is removed. i don't remember seeing a way to change the grip portion of the plastic throttle cable actuator... but my bike is a cheap model and the GS850 might have a different mechanism

i'd be interested to know how it turns out. i do not prefer the slippy-grips on my bike to aftermarket styles

Comment

The rt side throtle grip is just like the Left one Except it fits onto the throtle tube not the handle bar- cut it off the same way. NEVER seen one any different

Comment

I am doing the same thing on mine. Do we need to use glue on the new handles when we put them on?

Comment

For safety sake the grips need to be glued and or wired ( race bikes, off road). Grip glue comes in a small tube and costs a buck or two.

An alternative that works quite well is ordinary liquid soap or detergent. Put a drop ( don't use a lot or it won't dry) on your finger and rub it as far down the grip tube as you can. It helps to slide the grip into place and will in a short time go gummy (drying out) and act like glue. this works best with soft rubber compound grips like those on sportbikes or dirtbikes.

For the more rigid Kuryakin like cruiser grips, I'd use the proper grip glue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
            Spyug.

Comment

I've done this a couple of times on bicycles, I don't know if it will work on a motorcycle. The grips are similar enough that I would expect that it would. If you have access to an air nozzle. Take the pointy end of the nozzle and jam it in to the tiny hole in the end of the grip. With you other hand, plug the hole in the grip on the other side. Blow the air in to the handlebars. The grip on the other end should balloon up and pop right off. Repeat as needed. Like I said, I've done it on bicycles, never on a motorcycle. But hey, handlebars, rubber grips. They seem the same in concept. Try it.

Comment

Hair spray will help you get them off & on although some say they can come loose in the rain I've never had it happen to me with a mountain bike...... Easiest to cut them off if you don't want to re-use.

Bicycle tube repair glue works too when re-fitting....

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I put ISO style grips fron JP Cycles on my bike. 30 bucks vs. the cost of the name brand plus they are easier to get in 7/8 size

Comment

I did grips on my GoldWing today. Found this video listed on another site. Hope it helps, and Good Luck!!!

Comment

Great vid. Always nice to see exactly how to do it. Thank you.

Comment

On thing to remember, my bike had throttle lock on it abd the throttle sleeve had a ridge the grip locked over. You made have to carefully level that out so the grip wont have a gap between the end and the controls.

Comment

The air pressure trick mentioned above does work well for removing the old grips.

I use a liberal application of rubbing alcohol on the inside of the new grips, then quickly slide them onto the bar end. In the event of difficulty, I've even used the air pressure trick to help slip the new grip on (it helps to have an extra set of hands to do that). The alcohol evaporates within about 15 minutes and leaves a tight-fitting grip that doesn't slip.

G'luck

Comment

Working...
                          X