Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust heat shield rattle

1981 gs 850g 35000

small problem. my exhaust heat shield (location: right under the rear brake pedal) rattles. i've put in a spacer under the outer part and a washer on the rear screw. still rattles. is there anything else i can do or do i have to buy a new shield?

thx

Re: exhaust heat shield rattle

Originally posted by imne1
    1981 gs 850g 35000

small problem. my exhaust heat shield (location: right under the rear brake pedal) rattles. i've put in a spacer under the outer part and a washer on the rear screw. still rattles. is there anything else i can do or do i have to buy a new shield?

thx
    Does it rattle because it is loose or just thin. If it is just thin I would ty puttong some JB weld on the underside of it to give it more strenght. Perhaps a bettrer explanation of the problem would make it easier for folks to answer.

Comment

Try a light coating of silicone on the interior to cushion it.
      Dink

Comment

Mine, too. I've been meaning to fix it whenever I have to have the exhaust apart. There are two metal bands spot-welded to the inside of the cover (that covers where the header meets muffler). The bands then attach via screws to the exhaust system. One weld has broken, and causes a buzz or rattle audible at idle, particularly when the motor is cold.

Comment

Working...
        X