Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will my bad starter clutch hert my bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will my bad starter clutch hert my bike?

it appears to have no damage just wont crank the engine over. my flywheel remover is 300miles away and would like to drive it out there to fix it. is there any chance it could damage the engine?
    thanks

Originally posted by 82gs1100 View Post
    it appears to have no damage just wont crank the engine over. my flywheel remover is 300miles away and would like to drive it out there to fix it. is there any chance it could damage the engine?
    thanks
    No apparent damage and if it's not stuck engaged or touching the driven gear then no damage to the bike......Good luck puffing 'n jumping on

Comment

I agree, if it's not turning the starter when the engine is running, go for it.

I also agree, happy push-starting. 8-[

Don't you wish you had a '79? They still had kick starters. \\/

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ya kick start i live on top of a big hill so that should work thanks

Comment

If the starter clutch stays engaged, or engages after starting (unusual, but possible) if will destroy the brushes within 100 miles and the commutator will follow shortly afterwards.

My GK starter clutch went south last year and a brand new set of brushes in the starter lasted one day. When I opened the case I got a handful of carbon dust.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I agree, if it's not turning the starter when the engine is running, go for it.

I also agree, happy push-starting. 8-[

Don't you wish you had a '79? They still had kick starters. \\/

The 79 GS550 I had once had a kickstarter as well as electric.......my 79 GS1000 doesn't

Comment

well i loaded it up in the truck i gess i could have drove it with the starter idler gear removed but i got it loaded
              i hope to have good news (for the first time) saturday

Comment

Originally posted by SPARKSS View Post
                The 79 GS550 I had once had a kickstarter as well as electric.......my 79 GS1000 doesn't

The more I read, the more I learn. Thanks. \\/

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by 82gs1100 View Post
                  ya kick start i live on top of a big hill so that should work thanks

OK, that would do for your first tank of gas, but I really doubt that you would make the full 300 miles on one tank. :shock:

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

ya i got a diffrent ignition switch i should get 266miles out of a 5.8g thank
                    at o say 45mpg 45x5.8=261mpg1 live 238miles apart so i sould be on fumes but
                    THIS SHOULG BE SO GREAT WHEN I GET THIS THING RUNNING
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2007, 02:23 AM.

Comment

well it was the starter clutch bolts (all 3 snapped) the clutch was fine and of course they wont take the unused starter clutch back $175. any one need 1 will post in for sale forum.
                      now its running but not good.
                      the guy tells me he got it tuned up so good hes surprised it runs so good.
                      ha it stumbles all over the place at 40mph in 2nd or 3rd gear stumbles. on takeoff at any amount of throttle stumbles. and on the highway between 70 and 80 stumbles bad. I'm only getting 38mpg. spark plugs ground straps are gray ashy (not much) and the porcelain is white as new(400miles on them) the pistons have lots off carbon buildup. the only mod is a replacement uni air filter. would i need to re jet for that?
                      i read in a post that the jets that come with the kits r junk. is there a company that sells good 1s. the exhaust temps r between 240F and 275F

Comment

im going to post these problems under a new title.

Comment

Working...
                        X