steering bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering bearings?

so it seems i will need to replace my steering bearings, there is quite a bit of dip in them. (if anyone has ever used a 2 way door, the steering feels kinda like the door when it swings past center) i was wondering if i should buy oem replacement ball bearings? if so how many balls are in the steering column? or should i buy the drop in replacement cylindrical roller bearings that you see on ebay for like $45 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...spagenameZWD1V
    and of course, there aare these, slightly more expensive, but he totes them as being much better, for roughly the same price. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...spagenameZWD1V
    Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2007, 09:58 AM.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The number of balls does not really matter, as it is not the balls that go bad and need replacing, it's the races. No matter, you replace everything as a set.

The two replacements for which you showed links both appear to be tapered roller bearings. Not sure why he has two different-priced items for the same application, but either one would appear to work. And, yes, tapered roller bearing are far superior to ball bearings in this application and are worth the money.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I ordered mine from Cycle-Re-Cycle.

JP
        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
        1992 Concours
        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
        2007 FJR

Comment

Z1enterprises.com has 'em as well for a good price. Just got them there myself. The All Balls kit is a fairly standard replacement.

Comment

Installing Steering Head Bearings 81 GS850G

I just replaced the upper and lower steering head bearings in my 1981 GS850G. It has tapered roller bearings. My steering was not smooth. On disassembly I found rust and damage to the races. After tapping on the races with no luck, I finally cut them with a dremel tool cut-off wheel.
            The new races tapped in just fine, but the lower bearing was real tight. Left the steering stem in the frezer over night and the lower bearing under a light to heat it a little. I went on just right.
            I tightened the bearings to the max torque value ~35ft/lbs and then loosened everything to hand tight. I then torqued to the min value ~28 and backed off 1/4 turn per the book. When I rode it, it was great! This kind of thing is a pain and because the steering deteriorates so slowly you don't realize how bad it is until it's fixed. JUST DO IT.

Comment

I just picked up an all balls kit for my bike, my sterring bearings are in dire need of replacement, and didn't realize it at first. I also used the same type of kit with a friends bike a couple of weeks back, he has a Honda CB650 (1979) and the kit worked really well, I like the tapered bearings, they just make more sense in my opinion.

I had to cut his lower race out with a dremel and a small cutting disc too, I was a bit concerned about using heat on the steering stem, so I didn't but this probably would have helped as well.

Comment

Working...
              X