Stumble on throttle up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lafncow View Post
    No, it was the right carb vent hose (sorry for the bad terminology on my last post) ....so if that works the was i think it does, that means exhaust was backing up and occasionally "burping" past the kink when the pressure built up, allowing me to eventually accelerate?
    Not really how it works -- the vent hoses just open the bowls to atmosphere so that gas is able displace air in the bowls as they fill. It would never build appreciable pressure. It would starve two of four bowls of gas under hard/sustained acceleration (assuming a partial kink).

Comment

Don't laugh but I just had the same problem...along with an idle that went higher the longer I rode. My problem seem to have been bad gas. I was running Sunoco 93 from the station near my house for the longest time. I switched to the 93 at the Get Go a few blocks away and the problems went away. I'm guessing it was just bad gas.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark View Post
        My problem seem to have been bad gas. I was running Sunoco 93 from the station near my house for the longest time. I switched to the 93 at the Get Go a few blocks away and the problems went away. I'm guessing it was just bad gas.
        In my humble opinion, you are still using "bad" gas. Not because of the brand, but the octane. :shock:

Unless your bike has been built-up with higher compression, etc., you most likely don't need high octane gas.
        Octane does not equal power. Octane merely reduces the chance that heat from compression will set off the mixture before the spark. With stock engines you will burn cleaner and get more power and spend a LOT less money by using regular gas.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

^ I second that. Improper octane does nothing for performance.

Comment

Originally posted by CA180 View Post
            ^ I second that. Improper octane does nothing for performance.
            Only cures pre-ignition on highly advanced ignition and /or high compression. Alcohol will do the same thing, though you must be set up to run it. \\/ Nothing like the smell of a stiff drink, coming from the exhaust. 8-[

Comment

I think the original poster mentioned advanced engine timing, so high octane may be required in this special case.

But yeah, most stock or mildy modified GS models are happiest with plain old 87 octane. It's cheaper, too!
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I always thought that aluminum engines had to run on higher octane gas.
                1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  I think the original poster mentioned advanced engine timing, so high octane may be required in this special case.
                  Ya know what?
                  I just went back and re-read the orignal post. Not only did he mention advanced timing, he's got cams in there, too. :shock:
                  In his case, premium might be the correct fuel.

Originally posted by snark View Post
                  I always thought that aluminum engines had to run on higher octane gas.
                  Maybe only because the aluminum engines you knew were higher performance? Or maybe because their owners only 'wanted the best for my baby'?

Too many people simply see that high performance vehicles require premium fuel and assume that it's the fuel that give the extra power. Not so. It's the slower-to-burn and harder-to-light fuel that allows them to use the higher compression that gives the power.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I run high octane, but I'm allowed. \\/
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X