Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Questions - 1980 GS1100E

Fixed the trouble!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2007, 11:45 AM.

Clutch problems are one of the normal things with gs11's. The ticking noise could be just a bit of basket rattle that is normal with a gs of this age and mileage. The "roughness" description is a bit vague. If you mean the way the lever feels as you pull and release the lever, you might have notches wore in the sides of the basket where the fibers and plates ride. These "ridges" will catch the tang on the plates, causing them to cock a bit as they hang up This may also be the source of the ticking. If this is the case a file will relieve some of the ridges that the plates are catching on, as a temporary fix. This is a common problem when a gs has been used as a dragbike. The only real cure I know of is to replace the basket assembly. Good used baskets can be found one fleebay.
    As far as changing the clutch, A hand inpact driver and basic hand tools will do the job. You will need a new cover gasket and the fiber plates. Soak the fibers overnight in motor oil before installation. It's a pretty strait forward job.
    For oil, I use Shell Rotella and Wix brand filters

Comment

Fixed the trouble, it was stupid user error!
      Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2007, 11:45 AM.

Comment

My 82 1100E had close to 60,000 miles on it when the engine stopped. The clutch was fine. I know people who wore out clutches in 10,000 - 15,000 miles. The only thing on a bike with more variability in length of service than clutches are tires.
        JP
        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
        1992 Concours
        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
        2007 FJR

Comment

Take out your clutch hub. Turn it around and look at the springs. I bet you they are loose and scary. You can buy a kit that you can weld a new backing plate over the primary drive gear after you grind off the old rivets. But then you have to get it balanced. I would send your clutch hub to APE and have them do it. I got lucky and found a good one that Vance and Hines did off Ebay. Falicon also does the job.
          Suzuki built a solid bike with these GS1100s but they did put a weak clutch in them.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Those look like nice parts. I may have to save up for one. The stock is good for now.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2007, 11:46 AM.

Comment

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X