Power issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power issues

I was just riding around testing my previous mechanical issues (around the stator) and now the bike will only run for a few minutes before it stalls. There's plenty of gas and it will start again but not for long.

What I noticed were the console lights dimming and it will only start when enough juice has come back although I don't use the electric start.

Could the stator be out and not charging the batt? But why do you need power when it's running. Does this have anything to do with the spark plugs? It's an '83 GS1100ESD and it just drops dead especially if I goose the gas...

](*,)

Much appreciated.

Originally posted by seb333 View Post
    Could the stator be out and not charging the batt? But why do you need power when it's running.
    Yes, this is a distinct possibility. Do you have a volt meter? Connect it to the battery terminals and see what the voltage is with the engine off, idling, and running about 3,000 rpm.

Why do you need power when it's running? To KEEP it running. Lawn mowers, chain saws, and some dirt bikes use magneto-fired ignition systems. There is not even a battery in the system anywhere. Our bikes need power from the battery (which is constantly recharged by the stator and regulator) to run the coils, which fire the spark plugs to keep the bikes running. So...yes, if the stator is out, your battery could be low enough to not be able to provide sparks. When you "goose the gas" you are demanding more power than you have available in your run-down battery. Charge the battery on a trickle charger overnight, then follow the instructions in The Stator Papers.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The fact that the starter clutch and the rotor which generates the electrics for the bike are joined and the problems that you are having may also be linked. If the rotor/starter clutch is moving on the shaft this may well affect the electricals.

It could also mean that the reg/rec unit has been duff been on the way out for a while.

Get the starter clutch issue sorted, then, if the bike runs, check the voltage that the unit is making which will leed you to your next job. work sytematically and you will soon have a well bike.

Suzuki mad

Comment

boost

Anything wrong with charging a bike battery from a car?

Comment

Originally posted by seb333 View Post
          Anything wrong with charging a bike battery from a car?

YES :shock:

If the battery is in the bike, DO NOT DO IT. The charging systems on our bikes use a different type regulator than the cars do. If you connect jumper cables to the bike, it will try to regulate the car's voltage and current. Since the car can put out WAY more than the bike can handle, you will soon be looking for a replacement regulator.

If the batery is out of the bike, it should not be a problem.

If you want to simply jump-start the bike with the car, you can do it IF THE CAR IS NOT RUNNING.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X