Turn off lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn off lights?

Would it cause a problem to switch off the lights in the daytime? I don't mean to also cut out the third phase of the alternator as originally designed. It seems that the battery would be kept in a better state of charge for night time riding. I'm aware of all of the safety arguments for running lights in the daytime.

Re: Turn off lights?

It would not cause any problem with your electrical system. However, it will seriously reduce the ability of other drivers to see you and that would increase the risk factor or riding. I would check to see what the local law is on that. In many states, it is illegal to operate at anytime with the headlight turned off.

Earl

Originally posted by dobias
    Would it cause a problem to switch off the lights in the daytime? I don't mean to also cut out the third phase of the alternator as originally designed. It seems that the battery would be kept in a better state of charge for night time riding. I'm aware of all of the safety arguments for running lights in the daytime.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      It would not cause any problem with your electrical system. However, it will seriously reduce the ability of other drivers to see you and that would increase the risk factor or riding.
      I agree! I'd have to sell the bike before I'd ride without a headlamp showing. Daytime running lights reduced car crashes significantly when they were finally mandated (they were mandatory in Canada and Europe years before the USA). I suspect that daylight headlamp use is even more important to your safety than for a car driver.

Comment

I think the feds mandate the daytime running lights, not the states.

Comment

No, it isn't the Fed Gov't. It's the several States. In Maryland, headlights on are optional. In nearby West Virginia, they're mandatory; same in North Carolina and many other States.

I wouldn't tinker with the headlights. If your bike is hardwire for 100% headlight use, keep it that way.

Nick

Comment

I like a light switch just so I can shut it off when starting and warming up the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
              I like a light switch just so I can shut it off when starting and warming up the bike.
              Agree, is also very good if you have to start the bike over and over in connection with some troubleshooting, saves the battery.

From a technical point of view, no problem to turn off the light, the European models have light switch.

Comment

The last post in thread is a method to have the light removed from the circuit while starting (like most cars).

Comment

Originally posted by kz
                  Originally posted by slopoke
                  Agree, is also very good if you have to start the bike over and over in connection with some troubleshooting, saves the battery.

From a technical point of view, no problem to turn off the light, the European models have light switch.
                  Every one in a while i forget to turn the pingel on and when i run out of gas during warm up and crsank the dickens out of the rngine till i remember wehat is wrong. I asm glasd i have a switch.

JUST A NOTE ON THIS SUBJECT.
                  Hap has a schematic of how this can be done during cranking --with 3 relays. And also make the current path shorter at the same time.
                  I also have a cheapskates way of doing it with a relay.

Comment

Turn off lights?

I have the relays to turn off the light during startup. Why did Suzuki feel it was necessary to cut out one phase of the alternator when they had a light switch?

Comment

Originally posted by dobias
                      I have the relays to turn off the light during startup. Why did Suzuki feel it was necessary to cut out one phase of the alternator when they had a light switch?
                      Probably to prevent the r/r to get overheated, as otherwise the r/r had to take care of the extra energy and convert it into heat.

BTW:

The system with cutting out the theard phase has disadvantages, please see Hap Call's previous posts, he explains it well. (and in good English)

Comment

Working...
                      X