Stud or bolt for V&H 4-1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stud or bolt for V&H 4-1?

PO had bolts on the V&H 4-1 on my '81 GS750EX. I was thinking about switching them out with studs, then did my homework here. Either way, I've got to get new fasteners for the exhaust.

Should I get the stainless steel allen bolts or studs? The allen bolts would match the rest of my engine (got the stainless bolt kit for my bike, goodbye PITA philips screws!) and yes, I use anti-seize. Is the size/thread 8mm x 1.25? If I go with studs, what size should I get? If I go bolts, how long should they be? I can find 8mm studs at my local Napa (saw them today).

Is the V&H flange the same distance from the head as the factory exhaust?

I use bolts on my 4-1. I have them off all the time and there is no problem. I think it's just a personal choice. Either will work.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
      Is the size/thread 8mm x 1.25?

The charts here might help. Maybe not...

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Personally, I'd rather use studs. With the stud, you have a chance of the nut screwing of the stud, or the stud screwing out of the head, eather will get the job done. If one is seized, the other may not be. Also you can get penetrating oil on both sides of the nut & it only has to penetrate appx. 1/8". With the bolt in the head, you only get the penetrating oil on one side, & it will need to penetrate maybe 3/4" up the threads into the head.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Anyone know what size studs I'd need? And are they 8mm x 1.25 pitch?

Comment

Working...
          X