81 gs1100e crank question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1100e crank question

Does anyone know, at what amount of HP should you get your crank welded, or in what year they started welding the crank stock? Putting Nitrous on my 81 1100e, and am curious about possible problems.

Im never positive of this info but in the articles on the home page is says that Suzuki started welding cranks in late 1982 and on. BUT as i understand it, they only welded a couple of the pins and it was only a half moon weld. not a 360 degree weld. I remember readin that the realtrouble with the crank comes from when you shut the throttle and not necessarily under power. One other thing is that it was not uncommon for totally stock bikes to throw the pins out of ballance .
    Just some things i rememner. FACTS, well!!!!???????

Comment

Slopoke is right, Suzuki started welding the cranks in mid "82". The only crank pin that wasn't welded was the one at the primary gear. And yes, some of them would twist, even with no HP increasing modifications. If you are going to run nitros, or a turbo, you may want to check on a straight cut primary & clutch gear.

Comment

It's my understanding that If you have the clutch off you can look in the engine to see if the crank is welded or not.

Comment

Working...
        X