Forward Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forward Controls

Hello all, I want to move the rear brake and shift lever forward on my GS550. I have crash bars with highway pegs, and really would like to have the controls out there (my long legs get cramped in city riding, having to "scrunch up" to reach the controls). The rear brake is particularly difficult to reach because I have to lift my foot in an uncomfortable angle. Does anyone know if a kit is available anywhere for forward controls to do this, or will I have to go and have a brake and shifter fabricated?

Thanks,

NO FORWARD CONTROLS EXIST FOR GS 4 CYLINDERS OR ANY GS FOR THAT MATTER.sorry about caps,fogot to unlock.I can tell you how to make some,or you can go to seeger cycles and see what some look like for a honda cb750.Theirs wont work either but you can get an idea.I can also tell you how to make some highway pegs like i have on my gs 1000 that makes it very comfortable to ride going down the highway.also go to Jim's customs,see the ones he makes for 4 cylinder goldwings for more ideas.Splined couplers that would make the whole thing look factory do not exist.i spent almost a year trying to find a souces to make some.PM me if you want more information.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I'm in the process of making my own. I am fabbing the linkage up right now. I used some line hardware (bolts and nuts that go on telephone poles) and some 1/2" EMT Tubing. a cut here, a grind there, some boring of the original shifter etc... Its a LOT of work, but the end result will be well worth it.

Here is an idea...

Sorry no close ups just yet...

Good Luck!

-V

Comment

I sent very detailes instruction to the guy who started this thread,but it basically for the shifter side is very much like how you are doing it.The brake side is the hard side because of engine case clearance issues.
        Last edited by ron bayless; 06-10-2007, 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by minime View Post
          I'm in the process of making my own. I am fabbing the linkage up right now. I used some line hardware (bolts and nuts that go on telephone poles) and some 1/2" EMT Tubing. a cut here, a grind there, some boring of the original shifter etc... Its a LOT of work, but the end result will be well worth it.

Here is an idea...Good Luck!

-V
          Your bike looks like a back breaker there with the drag bars and (soon to be) forward controls.

Comment

Yeah, Im building it for the look more than anything but it actually sits very nice I feel comfy on it so far.

As far as the forward controls, the brake side is the worst. Like Ron said, you hit clearance issues as well as linkage snags. I am contemplating going disk in the back to make it easier. But that would slaughter my budget as I would have to swap out the rear completly.

*sigh* back to the drawing board.

Comment

Well, guys, you've given me something to think about. BTW, thanks, Ron, for the great instructions. I had figured that the brake side would be the toughest. I'll get my pencil and paper out and begin drawing. Any effort will be worth it, because the awkward postion of the pegs and brake pedal (& shifter) is the only thing keeping this GL from being a very comfortable city commuter.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Working...
              X