Help please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please...

I just bought a puller to pull the rotor on my 84 gs1150. It has starter clutch problems. Well, i was trying to pull it, as i was cranking down on the "bolt", the end snapped off. Now i cant get the tool off the rotor. Wont budge. Didi i do something wrong? Any suggestions on getting it off? I tried vise grips, tried turning the biggest part that screws onto the rotor off, no luck. This sucks..

OK. Did you snap off the bolt on the puller or the rotor nut?

If you have the tool stuck on the rotor on the crank there should be two flats on the tool which an adjustable spanner will fit to and undo the tool!

If its the nut on the rotor/crank.....

Any chance you can post a picture to explain?

Suzuki mad

Comment

I snapped off the end of the tool, its stuck on the rotor. It got so tight i cant loosen it. It will lift the bike off the ground trying to loosen it,lol. Maybe i can find a torch and heat it up? It acts like maybe the rotor was seized up on the crank?

Comment

Let me see if I can help. The tool is a threaded cylinder with a threaded hole in the top. Into that threaded hole ay the top goes a bolt. You thread the cylinder until it is tight. Then Tighten the bolt to put pressure on the crank,freeing the rotor. Did you Loosen that bolt instead of tighten? If you tighten it to the point of breaking you are GODZILLA! Usually if you tighten it untill it's a bit tough to turn then tap it (With a hammer-I said TAP!)it'll come loose. Is that any help? RJ

Comment

Thats exactly what i did, i was kind of scared to tap on it with a hammer. But, yes, i tightened the bolt and it snapped,lol. Now its so tight, its jammed on there. I tried vise grips on the bolt, no luck. Thats my problem. I guess ill just take it somewhere. I really want to get this thing going, and i dont have alot of resources here at home to work with.

Comment

If there's pressure from that bolt on the rotor still,I'd try some more taps.:-D

Comment

Cool, ill try that. Thanks for the help.:-D

Comment

I did a similiar thing 2 weeks ago on my 1150 rotor. The bolt pressing on the end of the crank stripped. I was able to get the bolt out and get the larger piece off the rotor, but the rotor was still on tight.

I'd try using a dremel cut off wheel where it snapped, cutting a large enough slot to insert a flat head impact driver, to loosen the snapped bolt. If the cut off wheel is too large to fit, grind it down to get the right diameter.

I failed to do the hammer tapping thing when the bolt snugged up against the crank, causing it to strip out.

I borrowed one from a shop and did the hammer tapping after snug, then another crank, tap, crank tap and it finally came off.

If you get a nice enough slot in there and try a few taps clockwise with the impact driver and no stripping occurs to the slot, the tool might still work.

If the slot starts to strip out, I'd set the impact driver to loosen and find another bolt to thread into the puller.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

OK, so its the tool.

If the rotor is still tight to the crank then try sticking the bike into gear and rotate the engine with the tool till it comes up on compression. Get a mate to jump on the rear brake and then using an adjustable or a spanner that fits the tool undo the broken tool. It should come off in an anti-clock wise direction.

If that don't work warm the tool up with a hair dryer and try that.

If that fails go out an get youself a large 'C' spanner and make the pin fit the holes on the rotor so that the 'C' spanner holds the rotor. Then try again.

If all that fails then its a dremel and cut the tool off. Best advice would be to cut neasest to the rotor and just enough to allow the threaded part to snap.

If you go that way don't cut the threads on the crank.

suzuki mad
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2007, 04:08 AM. Reason: spell chucker...

Comment

O.k. Got the tool off. After alot of heating-tapping-turning, she finally came off.[-o< Thanks for the help guys. Tomorrow; round 2 to try to get the rotor off. Im going to see if i can get the end of the tool welded back together.

Comment

Pictures!! I want pictures.. hehe:-D

Comment

help

When i did the rotor on my bike (82 gs1100gk) i broke the tool twice.To get the rotor off i heated it right by the threads you put the puller on. The rotor came right off with very little tighting force.I used a regular propane torch be careful around the oil and it should come right off.

Comment

When I took mine off for the first time (GS(X)1100ESD) I had a mate holding a 6 foot length of pipe on the adjustable while I used an impact air hammer on the nut. Didn't come loose!!!

Second time round, using a hair drier, warmed the rotor shaft up (I didn't have a torch or burner at home) fitted the tool nd gave the central bolt a tap with a 2lb hammer. It fell off, litterally.

When doing this job make sure that you onlu loosen the retaining bolt on the shaft a couple of turns and don't remove it. If you do the whole rotor and starter clutch will be on your feet or the floor!

Suzuki mad

Comment

Working...
                          X