speedo problem!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo problem!!

My speedo on my 1980 750E does not work. I installed a new cable and made sure it is correctly installed. The odometer and trip meter work but the speedo does not work. Anyone have a clue as to what to look for?

Your speedometer works from the front wheel, left hand side as you sit on the bike. Either the lug on the cable is not engaged or there is a problem with the speedo drive itself.

Remove the cable from the speedo housing and with the front wheel lifted in the air turn the front wheel to see if the cable is rotating. This will eliminate the speedo drive and cable.

If your speedo clock then its a find someone who can repair it or get a second hand working clock.

suzuki mad.

Comment

If your trip and odo work, I would say that the speedo is junk. It's a sealed unit so start looking for a replacement.

Comment

The lube on the shaft that the needle turns on is probably all dried out. You can open them up by either prying the bezel off then crimping it back on when you're done, or if you have a very thin Dremel saw, you can cut around the housing and epoxy it closed when you're done. There's a description here http://www.thegsresources.com/garage...ide_gauges.htm. I don't think it's necessary to do it on a drill press and make a very even cut all around. I did it free hand and that helped me get it lined up when I put it back together.

Once the unit is open, put a very small amount of WD-40 on the shaft right behind the needle - just a drop or two is enough. Work the needle back and forth then let it sit for a day to really dissolve the old lube, then work the needle again and put another drop of WD-40, or a very, very light oil. Clean everything well and put it back together and it should be fine.

Comment

You can open it up if you're careful. It's probably gummed up with old oil and needs cleaning. You can use a small screwdriver to pry the retaining ring up and remove the glass. When you are done you crimp it back. You can also cut the face off and glue it back. There's something in the tips section or some other part of the site which details this procedure. It worth a shot at fixing.. not that they're hard to find but they do tend to fail and its a good skill to have.

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
            My speedo on my 1980 750E does not work. I installed a new cable and made sure it is correctly installed. The odometer and trip meter work but the speedo does not work. Anyone have a clue as to what to look for?
            Hi Doug.......the fact that your odo and trip meter work means the speedo is being driven ok by your cable. Is there any history to the failure? Was the speedo taken apart? At this point, it's nothing-ventured-nothing-gained so you might try taking it apart. I just had my 79 GS1000 speedo apart and had to cut around the plastic housing right behind the crimped ring (hacksaw carefully!). The trip meter knob comes off with a single screw. Once the face is off, you'll need to CAREFULLY open up a channel (your's might be slightly different here) from the new edge to the tripmeter shaft. There's 2 screws on the back that now are removed and the meter mechanism is pulled out the front. On mine (typical) the speedo needle is either friction or magnetic driven with a clockwork spring to pull it back to zero. IMPORTANT....there's a small bent finger that sets the needle rotation to zero - it's POSSIBLE that the needle was forced backwards and is now on the wrong side of this.....easily repaired as you'll see. Putting it back together was accomplished by placing face down and using an even bead of silicone gasket maker to re-attach the front. When installed back into the control panel, the rear mounting bracket holds it securely in (no worries with the silicone being the only support!).

Your needle should rotate freely and easily by the way......just in case you see it doesn't.

Comment

The needle on my 550 was real sluggish to move up and even worse to return to zero when stopped. I thought about peeling the face off, but just pulled the trip odometer knob off, and squirted WD-40 inside with the small nozzle tube. I then took a short piece of speedo cable (I have several from my old snowmobiles) and chucked it in my cordless drill. I then ran it up to speed(my Makita does 34 MPH) and gently reversed it and it assisted the needle back to zero. I did this several times and then let it sit overnight. The next day it had freed up and the needle moved very easily forward and back.

Comment

thanks for all of the input on this. since I don't have a trip meter know I will have to take the guages apart. I am not to happy about it as the bike has lees than 7000 miles and is near mint. Oh well gotta do what needs to be done.

Comment

I just looked at the parts fiche online for your bike.

Your gauge setup lets you take take apart the cluster and you can get to the innards easily. Most of the other bikes have the sealed round style speedo, which entails cutting it open or peeling the outer ring off. Count yourself lucky.

Comment

Working...
                  X