Reattaching choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reattaching choke

I just purchased a 1980 GS850GT and it has its fair share of issues.

as most of the issues are already being addressed, this one is about the choke.

the bike came with the choke cable disconnected and i cant seem to figure out how to hook the cable back up to the bar that connects the 4 carbs. my friends '82 doesnt have the same style for the choke so i cant get a good comparison. both service manuals i have access too pretty much just say "disconnect or reconnect" but dont actually say HOW.

if anyone has a photo of their properly hooked up '80, it would really help in solving this mystery.

I ones I've seen have a spring loaded plate that you pull back so you can slip the cable end into the groove. Once it's in, the spring loaded plate locks it into place.
    Hope this helps.
    MO

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaKuruma View Post
      I just purchased a 1980 GS850GT and it has its fair share of issues.

as most of the issues are already being addressed, this one is about the choke.

the bike came with the choke cable disconnected and i cant seem to figure out how to hook the cable back up to the bar that connects the 4 carbs. my friends '82 doesnt have the same style for the choke so i cant get a good comparison. both service manuals i have access too pretty much just say "disconnect or reconnect" but dont actually say HOW.

if anyone has a photo of their properly hooked up '80, it would really help in solving this mystery.

My bike is a gs 1000 but i think yours is the same.One cable is the throttle cable.it goes into a pronged piece and has a square piece that can be turned and a 100 nut on either side of the pronged holder for adjusting the whole thing.There should be a similar pronged holder right next to it for the choke.The choke only allows for about 1/16 inch of adjustment.
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

on mine, the choke cable is connected to some little "L" shaped piece that pivots along the axis of the bar. it raises and lowers an end towards the bar and i cant see anything for it to interact with (i.e. is not actually connected to the bar in any way). I will take a picture later to show what I currently have. this is why i wanted a picture of someone elses setup so i could figure out why its screwy.

Comment

here are pics of the choke connection i have open and closed from both sides of the bike

Comment

next angle

Comment

another angle

Comment

and final angle

Comment

Does your choke cable come out of the triple tree? (Center of handlebars)
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I believe you are missing two pieces:

(1) On the outside end of of the choke rail (the bar that connects all the chokes together), there should be an armature with a hole in it.
                    (2) Between the hole in piece (1) and the "grommet" looking hole in the part the choke cable connect to, there should be a "c" or "u" shaped bar.

When you pull up on the choke, the hole in part (2) pushes on the "u" shaped bar, which pushes the choke rail out.

This is based on my '80 GS1100E, so there may be other differences.

Comment

Sorry my artwork is not up to snuff.

Part (1) is in red.
                      Part (2) is in blue.

See the part with the screw pointed to by the yellow arrow? You should have one of these for each carb. Take a look at each one on your bike to see if one is different than the rest. If it is, it probably will be your "Part (1)" and you will need to pull the choke rail to swap them.

Comment

i think you guys are right in that im missing 2 pieces. the drawing on the pic looks like what the manual has in the crappy picture that is never talked about.

yes my choke is in the middle of the handlebars below the gauges. i know im also missing one of the little tabs for the very left carb too, so make that 3 pieces i have to get now.

Comment

Choke

Have a look at the pictures in the carb cleaning / rebuild feature.
                          You should be able to see what bits you have missing.

If you are still stuck I will take some pics of mine.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X