Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach stopped working

'81 GS450S.

I noticed the last few times I started it up, the tach didn't immediately register the RPM, but would pop up a few seconds after starting. This morning it didn't work at all, just bounced a little from 0 at cruising speed.

Where should I look first?

Jeff

Did you pull the cable off and check it? Sounds like your cable weakened and then broke. Hopefully that's all it is.

Comment

I didn't look at it yet. There isn't any unusual noise(s) coming from the engine.

Will it be obvious if the cable broke?

Jeff
      Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2007, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Should be. Twisting on the wire cable itself should reveal whether its broken. Sometimes you can just pull it apart. You could also check and make sure that it wasn't too loosely connected to your tach or engine as well. Sometimes just tightening it up can work.

Comment

OK, I'll check it out. The delay is what's puzzling me, makes me afraid it's the tach itself. I don't go much above 5K anyway, so I'm more concerned about the drive gear in the engine falling apart than the tach being inoperative. If it's the cable, I'll replace the o-rings/etc. at the same time.

Jeff

Comment

there is a little rectangular stem on either side of the cable that fits a similarly shaped recess in the cylinder head and gauge pod. on mine, this piece broke and my tach bounced around in a similar fashion, never reading anything but the occasional blip. also, it may have only come unscrewed enough to disengage, due to a combination of oil and vibration at the drive gear

the new cable is cheap at under $15 if i remember...

Comment

I saw that the cable is cheap. I'll check the connections first.

Hopefully I'll get my Clymer manual in the mail today...

Jeff

Comment

I feel silly. Checked it out when leaving work, the tach cable was no longer connected to the engine. Reinstalled it (this is why I always have a Leatherman on my belt), and it's fine. Checked the oil level again just to be safe.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X