Breather Tube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breather Tube question

So, most likely a dumb question here, but being new to the maintenance side of motorcycles I am wondering if the breather tube (#7) in the following image:

should be connected to #8 in the following image:

The reason I ask is when I was replacing an o-ring in the starter cavity I noticed this hose was disconnected at the airbox and it looked like it should be connected. Any reason why this would be disconnected?

Also why would one spark plug work well in one cylinder and not another?

On another note, getting the carbs to clamp properly on the airbox side are a HUGE PITA! They kept slipping out when I would tighten the clamps...

Thanks for your help.

Yes, that hose should be connected as you said.

If you have only a single spark plug not sparking, it can only be: the plug itself, the plug boot, or the plug wire. There are only two coils for four cylinders so if you have a coil or igniter/pickup issue it will manifest in two cylinders at once.

Getting the airbox on is definitely a pain! Much easier if you replace the airbox rubber boots though!

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
      Yes, that hose should be connected as you said.

If you have only a single spark plug not sparking, it can only be: the plug itself, the plug boot, or the plug wire. There are only two coils for four cylinders so if you have a coil or igniter/pickup issue it will manifest in two cylinders at once.

Getting the airbox on is definitely a pain! Much easier if you replace the airbox rubber boots though!
      Thanks!

I measured the ohms and they measured around 8000 for the boot if I remember correctly; so I think it is fine from what I hear/read. The casing around the wire on the one is a little cracked and I felt a bit of 'current' when plugging/unplugging the boot - can I just replace the wire? I thought I read that was pretty difficult, but I can not remember.

I guess the only reason I would want to replace the airbox rubber boots is if I had an air leak there?

Thanks again for you help! :-D

Comment

The correct resistance on the spark plug boot is 5K ohms. Resistance between the 1-4 boots (through the coils and wires) should be between 30K and 50K ohms. Same resistance between the 2-3 boots.

Earl

Originally posted by zx7 View Post
        Thanks!

I measured the ohms and they measured around 8000 for the boot if I remember correctly; so I think it is fine from what I hear/read. The casing around the wire on the one is a little cracked and I felt a bit of 'current' when plugging/unplugging the boot - can I just replace the wire? I thought I read that was pretty difficult, but I can not remember.

I guess the only reason I would want to replace the airbox rubber boots is if I had an air leak there?

Thanks again for you help! :-D
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by zx7 View Post
          The casing around the wire on the one is a little cracked and I felt a bit of 'current' when plugging/unplugging the boot - can I just replace the wire?
          The wires on stock coils are epoxied in there. People dig 'em out sometimes but I've never tried. What you can do easily is snip about 1/4" off the end and re-screw the wire into the boot. That'll expose some fresh wire.

But if you're feeling a shock upon touching the boot you really should replace them. www.z1enterprises.com has NGK boots for cheap. They look great, too.

Comment

Working...
          X