A ? about stator on 1980 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A ? about stator on 1980 GS850G

I have a 1980 GS850G and I wanted to put a set of small driving lights on it to give more me light I drive a lot at night. I put them on and a couple days later my battery went dead so I got a new one and a couple days later it went dead. The lights are to much of a draw for the stator to keep up with is there any way to get more charging power out of it or can it be replaced with a bigger one ? I don't know a lot about this thing so any help would be great.

Unless you are VERY meticulous and wind one for yourself, you won't get much more capacity for your charging system. One alternative is to get 35-watt bulbs from Electrical Connection. The 40 watts you save (for two bulbs) is another 3+ amps, and every little bit helps.

Other things that can help...do you have them on all the time? Would it help to only have them on with high-beams? Either way, it would be best to have them on a separate switch so you can turn them off when you get into town and will not be running the engine as fast.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

See the stator papers. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm

Could be as simple as cleaning the connections and grounding the R/R to your battery.
      I cut all the bullet connections from the stator and R/R off my bike and soldered them together and used shrink wrap on them. It brought back an ailing charging system back to spec!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I will give cleaning a try and smaller bulbs. I,ll post back and let you know if it works.

Comment

Working...
        X