Newer "6-spoke" on an '81 GS750EX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newer "6-spoke" on an '81 GS750EX?

I like the look of the "six-spoke" rims found on '83-newer GS's (apparently, haven't found a definitive guide) much better than the factory "star" rims that are on my bike. Are there any six-spokes that are a direct bolt-in, or little modification necessary, for my bike?

Factory size on my bike is 100/90-19 (3.25x19) front and 110/90-18 (4.00x18) rear, dual front and single rear disc. I would like to keep the three disc setup but wouldn't mind upgrading the rotors or calipers.

Also, are there any 3- or 5-spoke rims that are easy to fit?

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
    I like the look of the "six-spoke" rims found on '83-newer GS's (apparently, haven't found a definitive guide) much better than the factory "star" rims that are on my bike. Are there any six-spokes that are a direct bolt-in, or little modification necessary, for my bike?

Factory size on my bike is 100/90-19 (3.25x19) front and 110/90-18 (4.00x18) rear, dual front and single rear disc. I would like to keep the three disc setup but wouldn't mind upgrading the rotors or calipers.

Also, are there any 3- or 5-spoke rims that are easy to fit?
    I picked up a set of wheels & rotors from a '83 GS1100 from a member here. Cleaned 'em up, painted 'em & installed 'em on my '78 GS1000. Whatcha think?

It's a 19" front and a 17" rear. The installation was a direct fit. There was one challenge. The stock front calipers did not work with the new rotors. I had to find front calipers from a '80 GS1000. So you're looking at a '78/'80/'83 contraption! Oh yeah. I got carried away with the red paint. Painted the calipers, too!

Comment

Those look sweet Tom. What did you paint the mag with?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hmm, with my '81 I should be able to use the stock caliper then and just find a front rim. Which speedo drive did you use, or were they both the same?

Wonder where I could find an 18" rear wheel......

I painted the stock rims on my '85 Shadow (gone but not forgotten) with Dupli-Color Engine Paint with outstanding results. The trick is getting any old paint off or scuffed really good and degrease about 5 times......

I used to buy Tech 2000 Carb and Choke Cleaner (Wally World) by the case. It'll take the oil off anything, including your hands, which leads to discovering the wonderful product Gold Bond lotion to keep my knuckles from cracking open and bleeding......invest in solvent-resistant gloves!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Those look sweet Tom. What did you paint the mag with?
          Chef, I used plain 'ol rattle can enamel from OSH. No clear coat. I degreased with laquer thinner & scotchbrite before masking & painting. I'm not sure how well it will hold up to road grime & cleaning. So far I have cleaned the wheels twice. I use waterless hand goop because it's gentle & effective.

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
          Hmm, with my '81 I should be able to use the stock caliper then and just find a front rim. Which speedo drive did you use, or were they both the same?
          Tex, the speedo drives looked the same to me. There is a centering ring on the left side of the front wheel. The speedo drive fits into that. This piece was different between the '78 & '83. I used the '78 ring.

Comment

Working...
          X