Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug wires

I have stock coils on my 1980 GS550E
    when the bike is running, and i touch any of the spark wires... i get electrocuted (when the cylinder fires)... i assume it isn't supposed to do that :???:. (oh i know its not supposed to do that grrr) .... so is it time to replace the coils?...... since you can't just replace the wires...... stupid design

You might get by with replacing just the boots. These are from Z1, they have other angles, too, so shop around.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I got new boots and wires from NGK. I plan to get new coils soon as well.

Comment

Yes, the wires/boots are leaking and need to be replaced.
        Yes, you can replace just the wires and boots, the coils are not to blame and do not need to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Yes, the wires/boots are leaking...
          Wires leaking electricity, hmmm. So, was James Thurber's mother right to be afraid that electricty can leak from a light socket if the bulb is missing and you turn the switch on? :?

Comment

very interesting thoery! :-D

Comment

So this going to sound stupid but here goes.

How do you change the HT cables when they fit direct into the coil unit? I don't know anyway that they join by pushing together, yet I Have never seen a connector that will join them.

I've always bought new coils over the years....

Took it now that you had to buy aftermarket versions such as dyna...

Suzuki mad.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2007, 01:35 PM. Reason: ????

Comment

I take it back, I only replaced my boots. I intended to do the wires as well until I found out the same thing you did. Sorry if I misled you. I will replace the wires when I replace the coils.

Comment

You can pull them out of the holes if you're lucky. If there is any sealer round the outside chip it away first.

Pull the wire out & shove the new one back in the hole (there is a spike in the bottom that makes the connection, then put some sealer around the top just to stop them moving.

If you're unlucky like me TPO or factory will have bonded them further down the hole so you can't pull them out (happened on 1 out of 4 for me...) they just snap off. I ended up replacing with dyna greens.

I do have one old one with the wires ready stripped out in the garage if it happens to you, needs new connector soldering to it though as I robbed it for the dyna's.....

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X