No Fuses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Fuses?

once upon a time, the wiring on my bike burnt up; i had to replace most of the harness and connectors. i am assuming because i cannot find a fuse on the entire machine..?
    the fiche states there should be a 15 amp in-line fuse near the battery somewhere. i haven't one and would like to know where to put one, and where i should source one. besides this main fuse, are there supposed to be, or should i add, any others?

as always, thanks!

Do you have two wires that come off the positive post of the battery? If you do I'd but an inline fuse on the smaller one.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i do. that should be a 15 amp fuse, correct?

looking it over, there is an empty bracket/clamp that used to hold something under the left side cover furthest behind the starter solenoid and rectifier. maybe a fuse block was once there? it's near #22 on this fiche:

Comment

My main is a 15 amp. Just checked.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

thanks! i'll wire one up

Comment

bought a fuse, then checked the bike. i have only one wire, a fat 12 gauge, running to the starter solenoid. but there are a few others coming off the other end of the solenoid that are smaller. maybe one of those is supposed to hit the battery?

i temporarily wired the fuse on the 12 gauge lead from the battery and it works great, until i hit the starter. that pops the fuse every time.

Comment

On mine the small wire off the battery goes directly into the fuse block. There has to be a wire that is a little bigger in guage than the others and possibly red that feeds the wiring harness. Maybe someone has a wiring diagram for your bike.

Comment

can i ask where the 30 amp fuse wire leaving the fuse block goes on your bike? i think since my fuse block is gone, the wire may be attached somewhere else to bypass it...

Comment

I don't have one. The other end of my main fuse comes out of the fuse box and into the wiring harness. Looks like someone cut it off of the battery wire.

Last edited by chef1366; 06-12-2007, 05:33 PM.

Comment

i found it. the wire was spliced where the fuse box would have been, or the PO deleted the fuse otherwise, and ran the wire to the starter solenoid, thereby getting direct power that way. i ran it to the battery properly with my 30 amp fuse and it works correctly.
                    thank you chef for always knowin' what's cookin'!

Comment

Working...
                    X