New Guy dumb question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy dumb question.

I just bought an 81 650 GL about 3 weeks ago. Changed the oil etc. He said it's got new plugs and the carbs were rebuilt buy a local guy last summer. He rode it for 194 miles and sold it again cause his wife wouldn't ride with him. I've ridden it about 1400 miles, now it's blowing blue smoke (small amounts) out of the left pipe and isn't as responsive under hard acceleration (so whenever it's moving and I'm on the bike). Also whenever you fire it up after sitting more than a couple of hours it likes to dump a couple ounces of gas on the ground. I'm assuming this means I'm running one of the carbs rich, and maybe a float valve is stuck or something??? Do I need to tear em all apart again to find the right one, or is there an easier way. Also, where's the cheapest place to order a petcock rebuild kit from, or a whole petcock, cause I'm pretty positive it doesn't work, and it won't turn without pliers. It's probably part of the problem.

Your petcock challenge probably explains the fuel dump also. I would suspect the diaphram is leaking. Don't bother with re-build kits. Just replace the whole petcock. You can get 'em new at www.flatoutmotorcycles.com or www.bikebandit.com. Flatout is less expensive, but slower on shipping. Local Suzi shop should have 'em too.

Comment

Okay thanks, I'll check em both and the local shop. I appreciate it.

Comment

Change your oil. You have gas in it and it will ruin your motor.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Haha, I was worried that I'd already ruined my motor as I was losing power. But then I realized that I'm running on only 3 cylinders (one pipe not heating up) I don't have access to tools where I'm located for my internship in omaha NE, so I'm gonna truck it home to my dad's garage this weekend. I ordered the fuel cock from bikebandit and the o-rings for the carbs. So ideally the flooding just completely fouled the plug??? I'm gonna get a manual I promise, but I'm not sure it will come in in time, so is anybody willing to email me the the settings for the 81 650glx carbs??? I have to knock it out over the weekend or the bike sits for a month before I can get to it again. Or maybe I can just eyeball it off the other ones and change the plugs. Cross your fingers. If it gets too much more involved then I'd rather pay the insurance to put my cbr(currently just the stunt bike) back on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by mmaddog View Post
            Haha, I was worried that I'd already ruined my motor as I was losing power. But then I realized that I'm running on only 3 cylinders (one pipe not heating up) I don't have access to tools where I'm located for my internship in omaha NE, so I'm gonna truck it home to my dad's garage this weekend. I ordered the fuel cock from bikebandit and the o-rings for the carbs. So ideally the flooding just completely fouled the plug??? I'm gonna get a manual I promise, but I'm not sure it will come in in time, so is anybody willing to email me the the settings for the 81 650glx carbs??? I have to knock it out over the weekend or the bike sits for a month before I can get to it again. Or maybe I can just eyeball it off the other ones and change the plugs. Cross your fingers. If it gets too much more involved then I'd rather pay the insurance to put my cbr(currently just the stunt bike) back on the street.
            Ill do my best to get you the pages that you need, I'll have to jump through a few digital hoops, but I've done worse...

Comment

Thanks you. I appreciate it!!!!

Comment

I found that oem carb spec sticky and I'm sure the 650s mentioned have the same settings.(bought manual off ebay, but it's gonna come in Tuesday according to the tracking # along with the petcock Dang it!!! and I'm 3 hours away from the garage for another month after this weekend.) So those pages would really help Dave(reassembly is usually a problem for me . You would be my fun/life saver (same thing). If you want I could give you my email or something and you could just zip me the scans or the pdf or whatever. Also I think I put 3.5 quarts of oil in last time. Right amount??? and would it hurt anything if I just snipped the fuel line and put an inline on/off switch there until I get the new petcock on(so I could ride it all over creation)??? (conveniently leaving a place for an inline fuel filter when complete???

Comment

hey man i live in omaha, i wouldnt mind helping you work on it if you need the tools i have them...

let me know if you need some help...

Comment

If it's the number two pipe that is not getting warm, you'll want to plug the vacuume line from the petcock if you put in an on/off valve. it's common for these petcocks to develop a leak in the diaphragm that spills fuel into the #2 carb/intake boot.

Comment

That's awesome! I have to go home this weekend anyways (topeka KS) cause it's father's day and the girlfriend's comin down from kck (every once in a while I have to give her the time of day, plus she's kinda cute.) But when I get back next week I'll just have the rents ship the petcock this way, and I'll have to look you up if I can't sync the carbs right. I appreciate the offer!!

Comment

Okay, can I skip the carb rebuild all together then?? Cause that's what's happening, and when I start it, it dumps that fuel on the ground. It would be awesome if my sole problem was just a 50$ part, and I wouldn't have to take anything apart

Comment

I just went ahead and bought a whole new petcock cause I'm a wuss and the old one was hard to turn.

Comment

slap that new petcock on and see if it fixes your problem... then maybe if it doesnt we can do a little rebuilding.... i have the carb dip if you need it

Comment

You're the man! I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X