Rust in the gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust in the gas tank

I know I've seen this addrsssed here before but I'm looking for some help. Both my '83 GS1100 and my '88 Hurricane have mild rust in the tank. I have heard of, but never used Kreem. Also, Honda mechanic once recommended a radiator shop to clean the rust out and I've seen an article somewhere about some other product. Kreem seems like the best long-term solution. Does anyone have any experience with these or any other methods they would like to share? THX, Joe

I'd have to look up the name of the stuff I used in the VW tank, but I got it from Eastwood. It was like a 3 or 4 step process, but it worked great. The last step was to coat the inside of the tank with a rubber liner. There should be enough for both tanks in their kit.

Comment

check this out http://www.por15.com/restorationkits.html

Comment

Go to Sudco's website and click on products. Check out Rustol. It is a one step treatment that gets rid of the old rust and treats the surface. It can be reused about 5 times.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          I just used this over the weekend. Went with it over Kreem because they describe it as being less noxious than Kreem. The fumes weren't too bad at all.
          Only compliant/suggestion would be to not rinse out the tank with water after the etching process. Leaves flash rust. Not sure if alcohol would work or maybe acetone, but didn't like the rust film afterwards. The liner is still setting up (they suggest 4 days) but everything seems to have worked fine.
          Now if I had it to do all over again. I would try to find a radiator shop or some place that would do it (depending on the cost). With the cost of the chemicals and the time involved I could have paid someone up to $150 and come out ahead to my way of thinking. (I value my free time and this was not an enjoyable activity). My .02 worth.

Comment

Do I need to seal tank?

After searching POR-15 and Sudco websites, I now question if I need to seal my tanks. The rust is moderate at worst. Would I be okay to just use Rustol or Metal-Ready to clean out the rust? Both bikes are kept in a heated garage and I usually keep the tanks full and have even been putting Sta-bil in each tank to help keep the gas from deteriorating. Thanks again, Joe

Comment

Rust in the tank...

KREEM seemed to work well for my 82 GS1100GL. If you use it,
              make sure you rinse with water like the instructions say. This is best done on a weekend when you can spend the time to make sure things are done right. It took the entire bottle of sealer on my tank, no need to drain the rest out. Good luck, Ray Evenson

Comment

I use a product called PETSEAL, sorry but I don't know if it is available in the US.

Comment

A decision!

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I've decided to go with POR-15's product. I found lots of positive feedback at various restoration websites and their Technical Support was pretty helpful. I ordered today........I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Comment

Cleanit

I used POR15 after a mechanic told me that Kreem can flake off after a while. POR15 has been great. A friend, however, who had mild rust, just cleaned his tank with a muriatic acid solution and nothing else. He keeps the tanks full and that prevents new rust.

Comment

Hello Joe,

I used the following in my tank:

It is a simple 2 step process that does not involve acids or harmful fumes.
                      Plus the epoxy actually likes some surface rust to get a good bonding to the tank surface.
                      I have never done this before, but the results have been very good. I coated the tank about 8 months ago with no flaking or peeling.

Just another input. Cheers, 3catfamily

Comment

Hello Joe,

I used the following in my tank:

It is a simple 2 step process that does not involve acids or harmful fumes.
                        Plus the epoxy actually likes some surface rust to get a good bonding to the tank surface.
                        I have never done this before, but the results have been very good. I coated the tank about 8 months ago with no flaking or peeling.

Just another input. Cheers, 3catfamily

Comment

No more rust in the tank?

Well, I spent most of the weekend applying the POR-15 tank sealer. PJackson's comments earlier in this post pretty much hit the nail on the head. There is nothing really difficult about this process, it is just very time consuming. I like the fact that this product doesn't use any nasty chemicals like Kreem and Hirsch's products. There seems to be a nice even coat on the tank. I see no reason why this won't cure my rust problems for good.

As PJackson said, if you value your time, having someone else do this might be a good idea. I had 2 tanks to do so I figure I saved a couple hundred dollars I can spend elsewhere.

Comment

Rustproofing!!

Joe:
                            Glad you've taken care of the rust problem. Rust in the tank is the thing that killed my old 1000. One day I noticed some gas fumes, looked over the carbs and noticed some gas weeping out the side of the tank appx. 1 half inches from the bottom of the seam, took the tank off & started poking around.As it happened the metal was paper thin from rust & I wound up poking a dozen or so holes in the bottom the size of marbles!
                            Think about it.....the 'main' inlet tube inside the tank sits maybe two inches from the bottom...if you never take the tank to 'reserve' how much water could accumulate in the bottom and you would never know about it?
                            Rick.........

Comment

Ive said it before............ KREEM RULEZ !!

Louie

Comment

Working...
                              X